Addicted.

0 Commentsby   |  11.29.10  |  The Schools of Psychology (Part IV-B)

1. Media

2. Tobacco

3. Alcohol

4. Recreational Drug

5. Food Addiction

6. Gambling

7. Prescription Drugs

8. Sex Addiction

9. Shopping

10. Work Addiction

These are the top ten addictions in todays society.

I believe that people use these things as excuses to escape from having to deal with emotional, financial, household, and other problems in their lives. All of these are readily available, and mostly legal substances for adults or anyone to use. But its shown that prolonged or excessive use can lead to a problem with addiction. Some do however have addicting substances contained within them, such as the nicotine in cigarettes. Some are even considered good for you such as work but it is yet again an escape if it becomes too great of importance in your life. Just about anything can become an addiction in your life. There are many contributing reasons out there for someone to have addictions; genes, an early use of drugs, social environment, childhood trauma, etc. but I believe that it is mainly a choice when it comes to addictions. Whether they have a strong enough convictions no matter what they are to lead them away from what pulls them toward addiction. I myself have experienced that pull and was able to stave it off.  I did it for myself and my family, it is a hard thing to do but it isn’t even close to being impossible. I believe that anyone who isn’t able to cast off the chains of addiction just needs to find their cause, it’s just a matter of being strong enough to do it and everyone has that strength within they just have to access it.