Alumni Spotlight: Chris Smith (D.Min., ’08)

Chris Smith grew up in Memphis, Tennessee and since then has been active in ministry in Tennessee as well as Kentucky and Texas. He received his BA from Lipscomb University, a M.Div from Harding School of Theology and lastly, his D.Min from ACU’s Graduate School of Theology.  Chris currently lives in Brentwood, Tennessee with his wife Vicki, where they are parents to three wonderful children and three grandchildren. Read more to hear about Chris’s current ministry role, advice for current graduate students and where he sees God working throughout his life recently.

Where are you currently ministering, and what is your role?

I have been the Preaching Minister for the Harpeth Hills church of Christ for 20 years. I also assist churches and nonprofits with Capital Campaigns as a Senior Consultant with the Carpenter’s Plan.

What is one of the most valuable lessons you learned in the DMin program that served you well after you graduated?

It is never too late to make new friends and if you aren’t learning something new you are falling behind.

If you could share one piece of advice for current DMin students, what would it be?

Enjoy the journey. And when you are in the middle of writing your Thesis, and you are thinking unkind thoughts about the process and those who are pushing you, keep at it. One day the bound copy will be on your bookshelf and your mom will be proud.

Do you still stay in touch with friends from your time in the DMin program? 

I do not stay in touch as much with my co-hort, but I have maintained contact with faculty. I feel a fondness for ACU and have good memories of my three years in the program. I am so thankful that Charles Siburt talked me into pursuing my D.Min.

Where you have seen God working recently?

I see God at work in many of my friends at church. Their selfless sacrifice and willingness to work inspires me.

What is something you are currently most excited about in your ministry?  

Many in our congregation are becoming increasingly concerned about social justice and the church’s role in current troubling issues. We do not have it worked out and at times still disappoint ourselves, but the movement is energizing.