Tim Sensing, DMIN, PHD - Director of Academic Services<br /> Associate, Professor of Ministry, ACU Graduate School of Theology

Tim Sensing, DMIN, PHD - Director of Academic Services, Professor of Ministry, ACU Graduate School of Theology

This summer I was asked to preach a Gospel Meeting in Tennessee. Upon further inquiry, the elders clarified that they desired a good-ole-fashion revival. I soon realized that the primary audience also included folks from area congregations who attended various meetings throughout the summer.

My memories of Gospel Meetings are limited. Thirty-five years or more have past since I last attended one. I remember sitting in the amen corner with my grandfather as Bro. Neal Penny preached for 2.5 hours on the book of Hebrews. I took notes. I took 14 pages of notes. He began with Hebrews 1:1 and concluded his running commentary with 13:25. When he was done, I knew the preaching in Tennessee was different than where I grew up.

It would have been easy to adapt their request for a Gospel Meeting to something more familiar. I toyed with the idea of a seminar on Philippians or Colossians. I considered relevant themes to contemporary contexts. But instead, I chose to address their expectations as the primary hearers of the sermons: A Gospel Meeting.

I began brainstorming. The following list emerged:

• The death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus (1 Cor 15)
• The Four Gospels
• Gospel preacher
• Gospel light
• The Gospel Advocate
• Gospel music