No Obstacle is Too Big For God

As graduation draws closer, I often find myself reminiscing on the past four years. Those sentimental moments elicit a multitude of emotions ranging from tenderness to downright gratitude. But what strikes me the most is how each year has brought a host of teachable moments, culminating on the theme of faith amid uncertainty. Anyone that knows me well could tell you I’m equally terrible at making decisions as giving directions, which is why I find it telling, and slightly humorous, that such flawed attributes serve as such robust metaphors for my life in graduate school. And so, for the purposes of this blog post, I want to tell you a story.

It was the summer of 2013. I was busy juggling two jobs, just trying to make ends meet. Life wasn’t glamorous by any means, but it was comfortable. I lived in a modest apartment shared with my two inquisitive, endearing cats. I had caring and funny coworkers that could strike a joke at a moment’s notice, turning a frown upside down after a measly sour interaction. I even found satisfaction in helping customers find the materials they needed to complete their latest home improvement project. But, it didn’t take long for me to recognize my life lacked meaning and purpose. It wasn’t my job, necessarily. There are plenty of people who work in retail and make a career out of it. The pressing issue was my spiritual life, which had grown stale like an expired box of half-eaten crackers. Most days I was too exhausted to do anything but indulge in some greasy fast food, a ‘feel-good’ chick flick, and a tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

It was the desire for something more and my fading spiritual life that led me to apply to graduate school. How I heard of ACU is straightforward and unimpressive; but how I got to ACU, that was complicated and noteworthy. Applications were not a guarantee for acceptance; and acceptance, for me, was not assurance ACU was where I needed to be. I didn’t want to make such a life-altering decision, like leaving my job and moving across the country, without God’s blessing. So, I decided, on what was either an act of faith or fear I’m not certain, that if I got accepted into graduate school, and housing and employment were lined up prior to arriving in Abilene, I would go to ACU. In my mind, these were huge obstacles. Along with the fact that I applied just two short months before the semester started, I knew finding housing wouldn’t be a walk in the park. Not only do most places want you to have some sort of income before you sign a lease, I had cats, and on-campus housing didn’t allow pets. Employment was hard to find at a distance, and I had zero connections in Abilene. In fact, I had never visited the city or stepped foot on ACU’s campus.

As soon as I hit send on my application, my anxiety hit the roof. The odds seemed stacked against me. I felt insecure and ill-equipped with no ministry experience and little education in biblical studies. In an application essay I revealed my faith was hanging on by a thread, which left me feeling exposed and vulnerable to rejection. Those weeks of waiting for an answer were long and hard. When the day came and a letter arrived in the mail, my heart was pounding. My hands trembled as I opened the thin white envelope only to find, to my surprise, I had been accepted. I was dumbfounded. Obstacle number one, check.

Before I got too carried away, I remembered there were still a lot of logistics to work out.  And so I began the arduous search for housing. One day I was browsing various websites, and this house popped up on Craigslist. It was just a few blocks from campus and within my price range. It seemed promising, but there were no photos and it didn’t say anything about whether they allowed pets. Then, there was the looming question about what they would think about me not having a job. But I decided it was worth a shot, got out my phone, and dialed their number. Part of me questioned whether this ad was real. It was found on Craigslist, after all, so that was a legitimate concern. To my relief, however, I found out the landlords were former GST students. They were ok with cats, and they normally wouldn’t do this, but they said I could rent the house. They understood me moving and needing time to find a job, and were willing to make an exception. When I got off the phone it hit me. Second obstacle down, and what once seemed like a distant dream was becoming a likely possibility. Within 48 hours I got contact about not just one, but two part-time jobs on-campus, both offering me interviews. After dealing with the initial shock, I put in my notice at work and began preparations for a move to Abilene. Maybe these obstacles weren’t as big as I thought, because God sure showed up and blew my expectations out of the water.

After many tearful and heartfelt goodbyes, I packed up my belongings in my trusty, blue Dodge Neon, and my dad and I commenced on the two-day trip from Michigan to Texas. Leaving a life of comfort and familiarity, and a state I lived in since birth, you’d think I’d be terrified. But for reasons beyond comprehension, I had peace. The trip was tiring, exciting, and memorable. Especially with two tranquilized cats. I was nervous, but through most of the trip I maintained my resolve and composure. The only time I questioned my decision was when we were only a few hours from Abilene. Our GPS took us on some wonky route. It was the middle of the night and we turned onto this dust-laden, dirt road. It was pitch black, no lights in sight. The only sign of civilization was a mailbox shining in our headlights every couple miles. I started to panic wondering if ACU was planted in the middle of a desert wasteland. But before my imagination got too carried away, we saw the glow of city lights ahead—we were about to reach the edge of Abilene. My dad and I shared some laughs, and I some quiet sighs of relief, and we settled into our hotel for the night, getting one last bit of restless sleep before my next phase of life began in the morning.

There are so many things I’ve learned since I’ve been at ACU. Things I never dreamed those fateful four years ago. I could have shared multiple different stories about how God has showed up and brought healing and meaning to my life since I moved here and how Abilene has some of the nicest, thoughtful people I’ve ever met. And all those things are true. But I wanted to tell this story, because it’s one that’s been on my heart and one that needs to be shared. I can’t take credit for God’s provision four years ago, but what I can declare is that God still works in unimaginable ways. Look for it, seek it, expect it. God just might surprise you.

About the author: Renee Paul is a house church member, native Michigander, and adoptive mother of two cats. She is currently pursuing a M.A. in Christian ministry from ACU, serves as administrative coordinator for ACU’s Siburt Institute for Church Ministry, and lives in Abilene, Texas.