Get to know our Associate Professor of New Testament, Dr. Richard Wright!

I was born in Lubbock, Texas and raised in Emporia, Kansas. I graduated from Oberlin College and Conservatory in Ohio with degrees in Violin Performance (BMus) and Religious Studies (BA). After Oberlin, I came to ACU and worked with the ACU orchestra and taught violin while earning an MA in Ancient Church History. After completing that degree, I did not feel quite ready for doctoral work so I moved to the Perkins School of Theology at SMU and earned a Master of Theological Studies (MTS). I finally earned my PhD from Brown University (in Providence, RI) in New Testament and Christian Origins. While I looked for academic positions, I managed documentation for a software company in Minneapolis, MN. After a couple of years in that role, an opportunity to serve as a reference librarian at Pitts Theology Library at Emory University in Atlanta arose. In addition to working the reference desk, I also provided desktop support for the library computers; I have a fascination with computer technology. By the time I left Pitts, eight years later, I had become director of technology for the school of theology. I left Emory to start teaching full time at Oklahoma Christian University. I taught primarily general education courses at the beginning of my nine years there. By the time I left OC to move to ACU, I had become chair of their Graduate School of Theology. I am married to Claudia–whom I met while I was at Oberlin (she plays oboe). We have four grown sons and two grandchildren–a boy and a girl.

What church do you currently attend and are in involved in any of its ministries?

I attend Minter Lane and regularly teach classes; periodically lead singing; and preach when needed.

How long have you been at ACU and what is your specific area of study?

I am in my third year at ACU and teach in areas related to the New Testament: the Critical Interpretation of the New Testament, exegetical seminars in New Testament letters, and languages related to the New Testament–Greek, of course, but I have been teaching some Latin as well.

What inspired your interest in this specific area of study?

I grew up in a family that valued the life of the church. In High School, I seriously began to imagine ways that I might contribute to the church in some formal way. It was not until college, though, that I began to work toward a career studying and teaching the New Testament. I find it stimulating and inspiring exploring ways to help bring to life the world of the New Testament and to help others see things they had not previously seen in the biblical texts.

What are some of your hobbies/things you like to do?

I continue to like to play (and to listen to) music. I play in the Abilene Civic Orchestra (http://www.civicorchabilene.org/) and occasionally freelance for performances in the city. I also like sports–I like to play golf and tennis (though I have not had much time to do either since my return to Abilene), and I regularly run and take fitness classes. I love travel and, because I have a strong interest in the Greco-Roman context of early Christianity, I have also cultivated a love of photography–particularly of the sites about which I teach in my classes. I am also fond of taking pictures of my grand kids 🙂

What is something unique about you that the GST community may not already know?

As my bio highlights, I have taken a rather non-traditional path to my role in the GST; moving from music to the study of religion; working as librarian and tech support person before finally serving as teacher and scholar. All of these stages in my professional development, I believe, have made me a better teacher and servant of God in my current work for the GST.