Gruene, Texas – Donald’s pics

7 Commentsby   |  04.11.11  |  Photography Gruene, Spring 2011

1. Donald Philip Simpson

The photos may have been a little too large to send, as they are cropped on here – but I’m ok with that :o) Had a great time with all of you and learned a lot!

2. Kyle Dickson

Donald,
    Got it fixed. Thanks for sharing some astonishing work. Could you tell everyone how you pulled off the multiple-exposure shots, whether in the camera or later in software.

3. Nil

Ah ah ah… @Kyle — he’s a genius! All done in his camera that night.

Excellent stuff here, Donald! Great theme variation as well as composition. I like the experimentation during the night shooting. Photography is also fun when given to chance.

4. dps

Thanks for fixing the size of the photos!

The photo with the truck was a long exposure where I followed the vehicle as best I could, with the camera on a tripod to keep it level. It turned out really well.

The Gruene Hall photo was a long exposure where I was focused tight on the name of the hall for half of the exposure time. When I had counted half of the exposure time off I slowly began to zoom out.

The last photo is also a long exposure where halfway through I used my hand to cover the lens and moved the focal point of the camera for the rest of the exposure time.

The greatest part of the Digital Academy weekend (and there are a lot of favorite moments) was reintroducing me to the concept of capturing and manipulating light, and not just saving it for viewing later.

I really appreciate what everyone brought to this workshop.

5. Autumn

Great photos! Those last two are really fun!

6. Ginna Sadler

I like the expanding light on the Dance Hall, but my favorite would be the lights on the wall at the first of the collection.

7. Tracy Shilcutt

Wonderful– thanks for sharing. Challenging shots.