Tales From Abroad: Oxford Sep30

Tags

Related Posts

Share This

Tales From Abroad: Oxford

This summer I had the wonderful opportunity to study abroad in Oxford, England for a month! It was my first time overseas and it could not have been better! It was amazing to be able to experience another culture. They talk differently, dress differently, and eat differently. One of the coolest experiences I had was at St. Aldates church in Oxford. It was really moving to see people on the other side of the world worshiping the same God. I was also fortunate enough to make06-08-16
some new friends on the trip. I will forever cherish the late nights and the early flights. We took a group excursion to France, and we got to see Paris and Normandy. This was my first time in a country where the people don’t speak English. It was a challenge, but a fun one. I will remember Paris for the rest of my life. The amount of history and beauty that is there is unmatched. My friends and I wanted to see everything, so we walked 18 miles in one day to explore as much of the city as we could. Normandy was also very extraordinary. It was amazing to hear about the battles that the young men of WWII fought. After hearing the heroic stories, we went on to see the cemetery, and it almost moved me to tears.

Despite all the travelling, we also took 2 classes while we were over there. We didn’t have a whole lot of time in the classroom, I was learning a whole lot outside of the classroom. I took International Business which was very appropriate because we were doused into a new culture, and we got to see how things run over there compared to America. We toured ASDA, Wedgwood, Mini Cooper, and Morgan Car. I was very impressed with all of them, but touring Mini and Morgan was especially cool. The other class I took was Operations Management. In this class we talked about Managing the day-to-day tasks of a business and how to improve efficiency while maximizing quality, and in the end, giving the IMG_2114customers what the want for the price they paid. In the Mini plant we saw there use of 1,200 robots the were synchronized and programmed to complete the task with little to no human interaction. They made about 5,000 Minis every week! Morgan on the other hand was more about tradition and craftsmanship. They were hand-carving pieces to fit into specific cars. They made about 20-25 cars a week. It was such an experience to contrast the two and see that despite their differences they were both very successful. That is just one example of the many things I was able to learn outside the classroom walls.

I could give you a list of all the new foods I tried, and cities I visited, but that would take a while. My point is that I experienced a lot in one month! It was exciting, challenging, tiresome, exhilarating, but above all it was memorable. I have memories from this trip that will stay with me forever! I would not take it back for the world. My hope now is that other students will get to experience the same amazing adventures.