Anabel Reid, Petersburg, Texas

40 Commentsby

“Our precious Anabel Reid is in the arms of God this morning,” ACU president Dr. Phil Schubert told students, faculty, staff and friends in Chapel on Monday, Nov. 7. She passed away from injuries incurred in the bus accident Nov. 4.

A Celebration of Life service took place Nov. 9 at Broadway Church of Christ in Lubbock, Texas. You can watch a video replay of it here. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal’s coverage of A Celebration of Life can be found here. And the Abilene Reporter-News’ account of the event is here.

ACU’s student newspaper, The Optimist, offers an excellent profile of this young woman who sought God’s will for her life, and had a heart for serving others.

Harding University’s magazine blog includes a post about the accident, and expresses that campus’ condolences.

This related essay in the Huntsville (Ala.) Times newspaper by ACU journalism instructor and journalist-in-residence Doug Mendenhall, is part of his Soul Food column.

Hometown: Petersburg, Texas

Classification: Sophomore

Major: Environmental Science (Wildlife and Natural Resource Management)

1. Suanna Davis

To the Reids and friends:

I was devastated to hear of your loss of Anabel. I’ve heard nothing but good about her and I know that you know even more of her wonderfulness.

I was born in Hale county and know that all of Petersburg is being effected by this loss.

I’m sorry more of us will not be in Lubbock on Wednesday, but you are in our thoughts and prayers. Every service in Abilene has prayed for you and yours.

May God hold you close to him and give you peace.

Suanna Davis

2. Kathy and Jerry Karels

To the Reid Family,
    I’m so very sad and sorry for the terrible loss of your beautiful Anabel. We have a freshman at ACU and our heart just hurts for you. We have been and will continue to pray for the comfort and strength that only God can give. Love, Kathy and Jerry Karels

3. Stephanie and Justin Lillard

To Anabel’s family and friends,
    There are no words. Our prayer and hope for you is by the grace of God, He will somehow turn your mourning into dancing. I (Stephanie) lost my 28 year old brother 2 years ago quite tragically. My family is living proof that it CAN happen. We are still on the journey of recovery but thankfully, God gives us sweet moments of joy. I pray (and know in my heart that He will) grant you the same comfort, love, peace, and eventually…joy. Hugs from Searcy, AR.

4. Scott & Sandy Ferguson

May you feel the presence of God as so many lift you up to Him to heal your broken hearts. We can’t imagine what you are experiencing but hope you are being flooded with beautiful memories of your sweet child.

5. Trudy Dilling

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Reid, Our daughter Dana is a freshman at ACU and our entire family is praying that you will feel the comforting presence of God’s arms around you. Dana’s oldest sister went home to be with her best friend, Jesus, as the result of a car-pedestrian accident and even though it was far too soon in our minds, we know that our separation from Hillary is only a small amount of time compared to eternity. I hope the thought that Anabel is now celebrating with Jesus, other family members and friends will bring you comfort and peace as your family works through its sorrow. Blessings, Trudy Dilling

6. LaDonna Wilson

Blessings, dear Reid family. My son, Grant, is a sophomore at ACU and my heart is broken for you. Knowing Annabel’s faith has become sight is such an awesome thought, but your loss is so great that words seem hollow. I pray your hearts may be comforted by the comfort that can only come through that precious, eternal perspective. You will be in my prayers continually.
    LaDonna Wilson
    ACU University Relations Manager – San Antonio

7. Mathis Kennington

To Anabel’s family and friends:

I’m so very sorry for your loss. May God lift you up as you grieve.

Mathis Kennington
    Class of 2007

8. Monty Lynn

To the family,

Our love and prayer follow you as our hearts are heavy with Anabel’s sudden passing. We share in this great grief. We trust in the hope and light of Christ amid heartache and tragedy, and we and witness to his deliverance in ages past and recent days.

9. Darla Lewis Ashley

To the Reid family,

I am very sorry for the loss of your daughter. I am praying for healing of your hearts and pray that you are comforted.

10. Elizabeth Ciufo Waters

Reid Family, My niece is Anna Ciufo. She is in her second surgery as we speak in Dallas, still in Intensive Care. I know she is mourning the loss of her friend and that all the Ciufo Family would like to extend their deepest sympathies to your family.

11. Stacy Epps

Dear Reid Family,

There are no words to describe the feelings of loosing a child. I am so sorry for your loss. I am a non-traditional student in my first year as a senior, and wish I had met your sweet Anabel. Know that I am praying for all of you, that God will wrap his arms around each of you, and that you feel his presence holding on to you in this time that you grieve. Know that all of us at ACU weather we have met or not, weather we know each other as great friends, or just in passing, we see each other as Family, and you are also apart of our family. Always know that Anabel will never be forgotten, but that her service here on earth will be told for more than a life time. I am praying for all of you with out ceasing. Blessings to you and your family always.

Stacy

12. Guy & Holly Lewis

Dear Reid family,
    We are saddened by your loss. We just watched the video of the ACU chapel this morning, and were so moved by your strength, courage, and compassion in the face of your own great grief. It will always be an example to us and to all who heard it of what forgiveness and love is all about. May God comfort you and give you the peace which passes understanding.

In Christ,
    Guy & Holly Lewis

13. Leslie Cranford

Ron and Shelly —
    We are all so saddened by this tragedy – I would never have imagined this happening to one of Ronnie’s LHS classmates – and to you, whom we’ve known all these years. I cannot imagine the depth of your grief. Praying constantly for you – God’s peace be with you all.

Leslie

14. Maria Zuniga-Arzu

Reid Family, please know that we here at Impact Houston Church of Christ in Houston, Texas are praying for you. Your beautiful Anabel, God’s angel is in His strong arms.In our prayers we are placing you into the hands of our loving Father.

Peace, Comfort, and Blessings.

Maria

15. Wimon & Rosalinda Walker

As parents, we cannot fathom what you are going through. There are no words; we sit silently and groan to the Lord. The only words that come are, “Father, be near to all of them, and let them feel your presence,” and “Thank you, Lord, for your spirit of love that dwells in your children, and is so evident when tragedy strikes.” It has been humbling to read about sweet Anabel’s life. May she inspire her whole generation!

16. Barbara Faltin

My heart aches for you-all during this time.
    A storm of unimaginable emotion & pain.

After the crowd had been put outside,he went in and took the girl by the hand,and she got up. Matt.9:25 JESUS

17. Diane Bellingham

Our Ladies from our church are upholding you in prayer. We can’t imagine what you are going through, but we are praying for grace and love and comfort and peace to be around you all at this time in the days ahead.
    The song “Because He Lives” helps us to know that we CAN face tomorrow, when we are not sure what tomorrow brings. Gods grace be with you and your family.
    From what I have read your daughter was Amazing, she loved working with the children from the Orphanage.
    She had an amazing gift.
    May her life shine and help you with all your wonderful memories to continue to trust in Him as He will get you through each day.
    We weep with you in sorrow and saddness, but know that we care and we will continue to pray for you in the days ahead.
    God bless you and stand firm in His Arms and He will give you all that you need to get through the days ahead

18. Eric and Georgianna Henderson

Dear Reid family,

Your testimony of faith expressed by Dr. Phil Schubert at the chapel service Monday is so very encouraging and inspiring! Our daughter, Kathleen, who was also on the bus, has told us that Anabel was the sweetest, most wonderful person in the world! We are so sorry for your unimaginable loss! It has been very hard for Kathleen to fathom the reality of it; she will miss her very much! Our prayers will be with you as you continue to walk through this valley!

the Hendersons

19. Kathleen Henderson

Dear Anabel, Your were my favorite freshman last year and I loved you so much. I cant tell you how much I always prayed I would be more like you. Your are my precious jewel and you will never leave my heart.

Dear Reid Family,
    I loved Anabel like a sister, we actually look alike so people have told us. I treasured her so much and know that out of all of us on the bus no one deserved more to go home. She always said sometime she would look up laughing as we were working together and say “father just take me home”. She was more full of life then anyone I have met. I always wanted to meet the family she always talked about. Perhaps in the future I will some see you in her “spec called Petersberg” as she always called it. I want yall to know the last thing she told me as we were yelling back and forth talking and laughing on the bus was “Kathleen get rid of your stink eye cause I lovvvveee you” I loved her more then words can express. And through her I love yall

Love Kathleen

20. Kim Middleton

Dear Reid Family,

While we have prayed for everyone affected by Friday’s accident you specifically have been on our hearts, in our thoughts constantly and in our prayers. We are praying for God’s comfort for you and we will hold you up before Him all day tomorrow as you celebrate Anabel’s life. We will pray for God to wrap His unfailing love around you to hold you up through the days ahead, and to bless you in every way possible.

Trusting you in God’s care,
    Kim

21. Heather

My dear brother and sister,

I do not know you, but I feel the pain you must be having over the loss of a child. I will be praying for continual, daily healing and comfort in knowing that Anabel is in the safe comforts of our Father.

Love and peace to you,

Heather Peters

22. Rebecca Cannon-Torres

Dear Ron & Shelly,

My prayers are with you. I have such wonderful memories of Anabel from my student teaching days in 5th grade at Roscoe Wilson. She was a beam of pure sunshine. God bless you all as you grieve.

Love,
    Rebecca Cannon-Torres

23. John and Gee Gee Allen

You don’t know us, but we are praying for you in the loss of your precious daughter.

24. James Chambres

To The Reid Family.

Hi I am so Sorry about the Loss of Your daughter Ms Anabel!!!!! :(

She was a Great Young Lady & Truly Loved the Lord. I am an ACU Aggie Alumni. I am DAILY Praying for You all, & That God’s hand will rest upon You all & give You Peace, Rest & Comfort.

You are all in My Prayers & thought Daily!!!!!

25. James Chambres

2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

26. Toni Trouart & family

What beautiful stories of your daughter we have heard from the Henderson family. My deepest grief and sympathy are with you. It sounds as if your daughter was an angel on earth. God will heal. Give yourselves time and give yourselves permission to grieve, even though your daughter is now in a beautiful place.

27. Karen Gee

I don’t know you, but my son is also an ACU student. There has not been an hour today that Anabel’s family and friends have not been on my heart. We know that “Jesus wept.” Know that He continues to feel compassion for you, and that we continue to intercede for you with Him. May God enfold you in Grace and Comfort today.

28. Karen Johnson

Dear, dear parents, family and friends of Anabel,
    I am a mother of another godly ACU (senior) young woman and my heart just breaks for you.
    I know that absent from the body is present with the Lord.
    I know that we who have accepted and hang onto Jesus’ finished work on the cross have really already begun eternity, and that it is really just a matter of which body we are wearing, our earthly body, or our heavenly body.
    I know that Anabel’s testimony and your testimonies that have gone out throughout the WORLD have inestimable value in the face of eternity.
    Nonetheless, I cry with you, and I grieve for your inability to enjoy your daughter on earth for a while longer, to learn from her as a beautiful Christian in your sphere of influence.
    I know that as I write this you are preparing for your celebration of Anabel’s life. I pray that God will strengthen you all in the time ahead. As Christians our heart’s cry is “Maranatha, Come quickly, Lord.” At times like these we are reminded to keep that focus, to look up, for our redemption truly does draw nigh. I rejoice that you know God and the power of His resurrection and can be comforted by this knowledge and understanding that you have.
    The things that I have heard from you over the past few days show that God has given you wisdom. I applaud that you have been seeking Him, because you would not have had that wisdom without Him. I pray Go’d peace upon you. I will stop now, but I want to leave you with with God’s Word, not mine:

“But now thus saith the LORD that created thee…Fear not for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by name; thou art mine.  When thou passeth through the waters, I will be with thee, and through the rivers they shall not overflow thee:  when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.”

-Isaiah 43:1,2

Karen

29. Lacey Ravanelli

Dear Reid Family,
    Words cannot describe how sorry I am for your loss. I regret to say that I am very familiar with the pain of loss. I pray that you can keep your heads up and find peace and healing. The days will get easier, and nothing is too difficult with our almighty God. God bless you.
    Your Colorado friend,
    Lacey

30. Scott and Tunisia Singleton

Dear Reid Family,

While I did not know Anabel I know one reason why all the wonderful things said of her are true- the example set for her by godly parents. Thank you for blessing others in the midst of your own unspeakable grief. Your deep and abiding faith is a tribute to Anabel who lived hers so beautifully. I am so thankful for the bond we share in Christ, even though we have not met we can pray for one another. We will be praying for you now and in the days ahead. May God shelter you in his loving arms and provide the peace that passes understanding.

Grace and Peace,

The Singletons

31. Dan Ciufo

To the Reid family,
    We can’t begin to tell you how sorry we are for your loss. Our Anna adored your daughter and Leah, our younger daughter came home from Homecoming weekend visit talking about her. We just ask God to comfort you and trust that this will rebound in some way to His glory.
    Your Christian commitment has been inspirational as we continue the battle to see our Anna out of the woods. We pray healing on all levels for you and your family. Dan Ciufo

32. Connie Weant

It is obvious from reading your comments to all the other students and faculty that you are an amazing family. It is an easier walk when you are walking with the Lord. My heartfelt prayers are with you and your extended family. I was at the scene with one of the many ambulance crews. We all did all we could but God called your Anabel home. I am praying for all the others as well. Blessings to all, Connie Weant/Menard EMS

33. Michelle Ashby

Reid Family,
    My heart aches as I think about your dear precious daughter being gone from your lives. Praying for God’s comfort as only he can give.
    Michelle

34. Randy & Delilah Reed

Reid Family,
    Our hearts are grieving with you for the loss of your daughter. Know that you are surrounded with prayer for God’s comfort and strength. May God bless you and keep you. Randy & Delilah Reed

35. Sandy Hobson

As I watched the memorial service for your precious daughter in the wee hours of the morning, I was literally brought to my knees and shed many tears. While I do not know you or your family, we are family in Christ. I wanted you to know that yet in her homecoming, she continues to bless and change lives…mine included. I long to be the hands and feet of Jesus and to emulate your daughter’s spirit here on earth. I am an educator and feel very blessed to be doing what God has called me to do…I will do it now, with more passion, love, understanding, and purpose, thanks to Anabel. May the God of comfort and peace hold all of you especially close at this time and in the difficult days to come. May her memory bring light to your darkest hours and smiles to your heart. Thank you also for showing the world that with Christ all things are possible…even through tragedy and grief you have tried to comfort and encourage others. It sounds like you were all blessed to have had each other as family. God bless and keep you!
    Sandy Hobson

36. Kathy Clay

To the Reid Family,
    May the God of all comfort wrap you in an indescribable peace. Our daughter Becca was Anabel’s RA last year in Gardner. She loved Anabel so much and was blessed to have her as a part of her hall family. Thought I’d share this link from Becca’s blog to honor Anabel: http://ladychairs.blogspot.com/2011/11/anabel.html
    Love, The Clay Family
    Salt Lake City, UT

• Samantha Manski

The blog is beautiful and really shows the essence of Anabel. I am praying for the Reid family and friends. May God wrap you up in love and peace during Thanksgiving. Your girl is there with you. Smiling and laughing at you as always, just in a different form. May you feel her presence in a comforting way as you move through the holidays. God bless you!

37. Traci Enix (Brady Fire/EMS)

Dear Reid Family,

Please know that we are praying for you in this time. I am truly sorry that Anabel’s life was out of our hands that day but I do feel peace in knowing that she is in such a better place with the Lord. I will not soon forget your beautiful daughter.

Prayers for Peace and Comfort,

Traci Enix
    Brady Fire/EMS

• Shelly Reid

Traci,

We are so thankful that you were there to help the others! We know that Anabel was beyond physical, earthly help. We are grieving and sad, but we are also rejoicing that our precious daughter is just where she always longed to be! The service that you and your crew provide is life-giving and we are humbled by that service.

Shelly

38. Miyazaki Ruuko

rest in the capital of Russia in Sochi Olympic Games information on this site nelazarevka.ru