Here’s another summer program in Washington that provides an internship and up to nine semester hours of academic credit through George Mason University. The theme is political journalism, and deadline to apply is March 15:
Archive for ‘Uncategorized’
Here’s a semester abroad possibility in Poland that includes an internship in several media-related fields: http://www.globaleducationleadership.org/internships-in-poland/. It’s for English speakers, but you can take a course in Polish, too.
From ACU alumnus Ashley Luttrell comes this message of interest to Ad/PR majors:
I am on the FleishmanHillard Dallas intern recruiting team this year and wanted to share some materials. We also have a diversity fellowship for minority students/graduates that runs a little longer (6-12 months typically), and now includes hourly pay + benefits.
Below is a link to the current summer intern job description. Internships are full-time (37.5 hours/week) positions with hourly pay.
Depending on client needs, we will probably be hiring 9-13 digital/social/PR interns this summer. We also have a graphic design intern each session, and a videography intern for each session (this might be a good fit for Electronic media majors). Right now, major clients in the Dallas office are Google, Youtube, Chevrolet (social media), General Motors, AT&T, Texas Oncology, and clients in other industries like healthcare, agribusiness, and oil & gas. Interns work on everything from media relations to social media/community management, influencer outreach, and research/analytics.
We also have internship opportunities in Houston and Austin (both offices are much smaller than the Dallas office, so they don’t have as many interns each session). If a JMC/M&M student wants to apply for a Houston or Austin internship, I’d be happy to connect them with the FH internship coordinators in those cities.
Senior Account Executive
FleishmanHillard | 1999 Bryan Street, Suite 3400 | Dallas, TX 75201
Here’s a pitch from one of several journalism internship programs that resemble Study Abroad. You spend a semester, get a full load of college credit and they guarantee you an internship with one of several companies with which they’ve developed ties.
Capital Semester – Political Journalism Track in Washington, DC
Fall: August 26 – December 11, 2015
Spring: January 13 – April 30, 2016
Spend a semester in Washington, DC making an investment in your future that will help set you apart after college. This comprehensive program sponsored by The Fund for American Studies includes a guaranteed journalism or communications internship placement, courses for transferable credit, and furnished housing in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
We’ve been creating academic internship experiences for over 40 years and guarantee all participants an internship placement. Your options are endless – we work with many different newspapers, magazines, online publications, news services, TV and radio stations, as well as communications firms.
Who you know does matter – especially when it comes to your future job search. Our programs are designed to allow students to make valuable professional connections and practice networking skills in a real-world setting. You can participate in a mentor program, as well as roundtable discussions and networking receptions with program alumni.
COURSES FOR CREDIT
Earn 12 academic credits from the DC Metro Area’s George Mason University. Mason was recently ranked #1 Up and Coming University by U.S. News and World Report. The program has a curriculum that is designed to complement the journalism internship experience.
You will have a front row seat to a variety of exclusive briefings and uniquely DC events, allowing you to further explore the journalism career field, make important professional connections and have fun while doing so. You will have the chance to attend once-in-a-lifetime tours and hear from leaders within such institutions as the State Department, U.S. Congress, White House, World Bank, National Press Club and Newseum.
Students applying for Fall 2015 will be accepted on a rolling basis until the final deadline of June 1, 2015. Applicants are encouraged to apply for the early deadline of March 1, 2015 in order to receive preference in admissions and scholarship consideration, as well as a 5% tuition discount. The early application deadline for Spring 2016 is October 1. Applications for spring will be accepted until the final deadline of November 1. There is a substantial amount of scholarship funding available, and awards are made based on financial need and merit.
Community Broadcast Partners (95.1 The Wolf and 96Q) is accepting applicants for one or two paid internships. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Running the boards for ‘live remotes/broadcasts’
- Promotional event setup and execution at station events including: client locations, concerts, community events, etc
- Interacting with stations’ listeners
- Various office and administrative duties
Interested individuals should work well independently as well as in a team atmosphere and have interest in Radio Broadcasting, Promotions & Marketing and/or Communications. The ideal candidate MUST be reliable, responsible, and trustworthy; available to work nights and weekends. Candidate should have reliable transportation and be able to lift at least 30 pounds. Willingness to be a team player and the ability to be creative and extroverted are essential. Hours will vary, averaging 10-15 hours per week. Students must be enrolled at an accredited college and must receive credit towards their degree in order to be eligible.
Contact Tiffany Reynolds, On-Air/Promotions Director for Community Broadcast Partners (KORQ “96Q” / KABW “95.1 The Wolf”), at (325)480-0034 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In support of its Junior Golf Program, the Southern Texas Section of the PGA of America is accepting applications for a 3-month internship (May 15 to Aug. 15) focused around communication and media. It will entail being on-site at tournaments, updating the junior golf website, making highlight and promotional videos, writing press releases, and other areas of the operation that need assistance. The STPGA runs tournaments all across the southern part of Texas for juniors ages 6-18. This internship may cover a few events where PGA Professionals participate in tournaments.
This is a full-time job with a minimum of a 40-hour work week. This paid internship will have required weekend work and ground travel will be involved. The intern will be given a month-by-month schedule upon arrival.
Send your resume and cover letter by mail or email to: Thomas Hutton, (email@example.com), director of Junior Golf, Southern Texas PGA Attn: Thomas Hutton 21604 Cypresswood Dr. Spring, TX 77373.
STPGA hopes to fill the position by the end of February.
KSBJ is a non-commercial, listener-supported Christian music station in Houston – Arbitron market #6. The station is consistently ranked in the top-5 of more than 40 stations in Houston and has received awards through the years from Radio & Records, Program Director dot Net, National Religious Broadcasters (NRB,) and Christian Music Broadcasters (CMB.) Also, KSBJ has been recognized in 2011, 2012, and 2013 as one of the Best Christian Workplaces in America.
KSBJ mentoring director Heide Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) is looking for a paid summer intern. After a few days of overview and getting to know more about the station, she’ll partner this student with the department head who oversees the area of broadcasting they’re most interested in. Then, from June 1 – August 7 (flexible with your schedule), the intern will be immersed in 10 weeks of hands-on broadcast ministry.
The prime candidate for this postion will have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and be planning to pursue a career in Christian radio. To apply and for more information, go to www.ksbj.org and click on the KSBJ Careers link at the top of the page.
GideonStone, LLC, an award-winning, boutique consulting and creative services firm based in the Houston area, is seeking a smart, highly motivated, multi-talented ACU intern for the summer months. The individual must plan to live in the Houston area from mid-May through mid-August or June through mid-August. We’ll pay $10/hour, 20 hours a week, maximum of 80 hours per month for three months. The intern will be a contract employee of our company. The ideal candidate will have completed his or her junior year and will have taken several classes in journalism, public relations, web/publication design and/or marketing.
We will not reimburse for travel expenses, but the job should require only periodic, short trips for errands (picking up a print job, office supplies, etc.). Our home office is in Missouri City, and depending on where the individual lives, a Texas toll tag may be helpful. We will provide a phone line for all calls. We would prefer that the individual come to our office for work hours, though there will be some flexibility, depending on the project assignments.
The individual must be:
- Bright and highly motivated
- Pleasant and outgoing
- Energetic, on time and organized
- Familiar with the higher education environment
- A strategic thinker
- Able to conduct an effective interview, in person and on the phone
- Knowledgeable about communications and marketing; hands-on experience preferred
- Able to write quickly and well
- Able to edit effectively
- Articulate and able to be understood clearly on the phone
- Willing to make several hundred phone calls without frustration and record detailed information accurately
- A roll-up-their-sleeves and work hard person
- Must be highly proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint; helps to be familiar with Photoshop, InDesign, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Microsoft Publisher
- Can be Mac or PC oriented; we use Macs but also have an available PC for use. If using a Mac, will need to provide his/her own computer (probably best, if possible). If the individual has Adobe Creative Suite, that’s an added bonus.
- Experience in web content creation and publishing (CMS)
- Basic ability to shoot and edit photos and/or videos
- Proficient with video or interactive presentation software
- Research/report development skills (using available data sources and compiling into a meaningful report)
- Email marketing knowledge
We’d like to receive: 1) a resume; 2) a link to an online portfolio or emailed samples of work (mail can work, too, but we’re moving pretty quickly); 3) three non-family references; 4) a one-page cover letter explaining why the individual is the right person for this internship.
This information should be emailed to my attention at email@example.com, no later than Thursday, Feb. 12, at 5 p.m.
The principals of GideonStone, LLC will be in Abilene the weekend of Feb. 13-15 and will be able to conduct in-person interviews on Saturday morning, if scheduling permits. If not, phone interviews are acceptable as well. Thanks!
Michelle Morris, Ed.D.
CEO and Managing Partner
JMC alum Sommerly Simser works with Bunim/Murray Productions, creator of a number of popular television programs. She has alerted us to Bunim/Murray’s internship program in Los Angeles, either throughout a semester or all summer. The internships are unpaid, but offer experience in these departments: Casting, Story, Editing, Music, Pre-production, Post Production, New Show Development, Business Development, Accounting/Finance, Human Resources, Legal, New Media and Website Design. Details are at http://www.bunim-murray.com/internships/, but Sommerly (ssimser@Bunim-Murray.com) wouldn’t mind being contacted for tips and advice.
The AroundCampus Group is the leading collegiate media and marketing company in the U.S and works with over 200 universities. As an AroundCampus summer sales intern you will help connect your college campus with the local community by selling advertising that will appear on our award-winning mobile app, website, and in AroundCampus Student Planner.
As a Sales Representative you will:
• Spread the word: You’ll be responsible for growing our customer base by consulting with local and national businesses in your college town
• Be out and about: This is NOT a desk job! You will be in the business community prospecting and working hands-on with clients to build the best advertising package for their business
• Work full-time this summer, Monday – Friday from 8:30am-5:30pm
• Be a campus ambassador: Act and think like a market expert for your college community by providing market perspective and advice to your clients
• Attend our week-long, nationally recognized Sales Foundations Academy Training Program at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill campus; all expenses paid
• Develop your interpersonal and professional skills as an individual and in a team setting
• Work closely with a full time Regional Manager to develop sales and marketing skills
• Work in a team sales environment and deliver on both personal and team goals
• Gain a skill set that will set you apart from your peers in today’s job market
We want people who are:
• Confident, driven, competitive and obsessed about their future
• Great listeners who love to work with people
• Goal-oriented people who like working alone as much as they like working with a team
• Willing to constantly learn, improve, and adapt quickly
• Excited about discovering and exploring your college town
• Versatile; building relationships across many verticals
Wonder what happens after the internship?
We also have an awesome line up of 19 Career Partners waiting to talk to you about their full time, highly coveted positions once you have completed the AC program. Check them out:
ADP • MemoryBlue • Bloomberg BNA • Echo Business Solutions • TEKSystems
Ferguson • Enterprise • Edward Jones • Paycom• Federated Insurance • Vocus
Verengo Solar • CEB • Stephen Gould • Tom James • AT&T • Reynolds & Reynolds
• Open summer schedule to work Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-5:30 pm
• You MUST have housing and a vehicle in one of the following markets: Abilene, Austin, College Station, Dallas, Denton, Fort Worth, Houston, Huntsville, Lubbock, Nacogdoches, or Waco- in your application, please specify which location you are best qualified for.
Apply online: www.aroundcampusgroup.com/os-apply
Contact Janelle directly at firstname.lastname@example.org