Catchin’ up with our Gerontology students ~Mat Molina

GERO Student Mat MolinaHere’s the news from Mat:

Mat Molina graduated from ACU just last semester–May, 2015 with a major in Nursing. This summer, Mat Molina passed the NCLEX-RN nursing certification testing on the first try! He is now a licensed RN in addition to the BSN degree he earned from ACU.

This summer, Mat accepted a job invitation to work at Peterson Regional Medical Center in Kerrville, Texas. “One of the nurses I interviewed with pointed out the GERO certification on my transcript and she was excited about it,” Mat recalled. ​”The interview team liked that I had a GERO certification. They liked that I had a passion for hospice and home health.”​

Mat’s favorite Bible verse is also a call to his health and healing ministry:
“Love one another as I have loved you” ~John 15:12

MatsHospital
Mat’s work in Kerrville falls under the critical shortage area designation. He completes his daily rounds working on the surgical unit with primarily a geriatric population.

“I am excited to be working on the surgical floor as a staff nurse. My patient population will be majority older people, but I will also be taking care of patients across the life span. It is such a blessing to have this opportunity. I knew I wanted to be a nurse after taking care of my mom when she had cancer and the hospice nurse taught me so much. She inspired me. I hope I can do the same to many others. Many blessings to you and the gerontology center!”

Mat is especially grateful to the guidance and mentoring he received from Dr. Pruett and Dr. Hammack.

MatsFamily

Mat is also very grateful to his family who include mom Reyna DeLaRosa Molina, dad Jessie, sisters Melissa Lopez, Rayna Espinosa, Linda Molina, and Crystal Molina and brothers Jimmy, Jessie Jr., and Noel Molina.

Would you like to continue the dialogue with Mat? Leave a comment here on our blog!