Office: 264 Mabee Business Building
Address: ACU Box 28036, Abilene, Texas 79699
Rob Byrd, Ed.D., Associate Professor of Information Technology
Degrees, Licenses & Certificates:
Ed.D., Educational Administration, Emphasis in Organizational Leadership, University of Louisville, (2002) Dissertation Topic: Values-Leadership Congruence and Internet Surveying.
M.S., Mathematics, Concentration in Computer Science Creighton University, Omaha, Neb. (1992).
Military Instructor, U.S. Air Force Instructor School (1986).
Navigator, U.S. Air Force Flight School, Mather Air Force Base, Calif. (1984).
- B.S., Mathematics, Minor in Physics, Harding University, Searcy, Ark. (1981).
- Web Development
- Cyber Security
- System Integration and Administration
- Introduction to Information, Technology and Computing
- Managing Technical Projects
- Network and Security Administration
- Database Administration
Academic Pedagogies and Assessment
Professional and Organizational Memberships:
Association for Computing Machinery
Association of Old Crows (defense electronics & information ops industry)
- Air Force Association
- National Rifle Association
Phi Kappa Phi (national honor society for all disciplines – top 10% of doctoral class)
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon (national honor society for computer scientists)
Achievements and Awards:
Departmental Teacher of the Year 2013-2014
Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence, American Society for Quality, Cert#: 05492 (Since 2000)
- Listed in the September 2005 issue of Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
Representative Research Publications/Presentations:
- Byrd, R. R., & Beier, M. “Web Programming Curriculum: What Changes, What Remains the Same Over Time”, WorldComp’14 World Congress on Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing: Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science, Las Vegas, NV, July 20 – 24, 2014.
- Byrd, R. R. “Optimizing teaching and learning through the appropriate use of learning management systems,” Southwest Teaching and Learning Journal, Fall 2012, Volume 2, Number 1.
- Byrd, R. R. “Using appropriate e-learning systems to optimize teaching and learning”, Journal on Computing, October 2012, Volume 2, Number 3.
- Byrd, R. R. “Accrediting online programs in computing disciplines ”, WorldComp’12 World Congress on Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing: Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science, Las Vegas, NV, July 16 – 19, 2012.
- Byrd, R. R. “Accredited online programs: Is that possible?”, 2012 ABET Symposium, St Louis, MO, April 21, 2012.
- Byrd, R. R. “Developing an online or hybrid course using Moodle”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference, San Antonio, Texas, March 20, 2012.
- Byrd, R. R. “Optimizing teaching and learning through the use of appropriate content management systems”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference, San Antonio, Texas, March 20, 2012.
- Byrd, R. R. “Using the cloud and virtual machines to teach IT integration”, 2011 Innovative Professor Conference, Austin Peay State University, Clarksville, TN, November 8, 2011.
- Byrd, R. R. “Transferring information technology and epistemological concepts across disciplines”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 3, 2011.
- Byrd, R. R. “Ontologies in the school: Managing information and creating organizational intelligence”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 2, 2011.
- Byrd, R. R. “Mobile learning with Moodle”, Innovative Professor Conference, Austin Peay State University, November 8, 2010.
- Byrd, R. R. “Does the early bird get the worm?: Analyzing response patterns for quizzes and assignments”, Southwest Teaching and Learning Conference Proceedings, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, System Center San Antonio (TAMUK-SA), March 27-28, 2009 Available on: http://orglearn.com/research/early_bird_patterns2009.pdf
- Byrd, R. R., & Marr, J. (January 2009.) “Realtime attendance,” Moodle Modules and Plugins Repository, http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=2100&filter=1
- Byrd, R., “The Argument for Open,” Campus Technology Magazine, November 2008. Available online: http://campustechnology.com/articles/2008/11/the-argument-for-open.aspx?sc_lang=en
- Byrd, R., & Balaji, R. “Real Time 2-D Face Detection Using Color Ratios and K-Mean Clustering,” ACMSE 2006 Conference Proceedings, Melbourne, FL: ACM Press. March 2006.
- Moore, B., Byrd, R., & Leibfreid, T. (2005). Data Management Plan for the Cumberland Piedmont Network and Mammoth Cave National Park Prototype Monitoring Program, Ft Collins, CO: National Park Service. Available on-line: http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/datamgmt/docs/DMPlans/CUPN_MACA_DMP_20050930.pdf
- Woodman, R.L., Helf, K.L., Moore, W.J. & Byrd, R.R. (2005). “Cave cricket monitoring protocol for Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky,” National Park Service, Mammoth Cave Prototype Monitoring Program, Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, USA. Available On-line: http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/monitor/protocols/MACA-CaveCricket.pdf