The ACU Writing Center is happy to offer asynchronous online tutoring for students enrolled in our online graduate programs (as well as students enrolled in study-abroad or JUST programs in Dallas). However, our first suggestion is always to find a face-to-face writing center in the town where you live; many university writing centers are happy to help anyone who walks in the door, including students from other universities. Face-to-face tutoring sessions are always more helpful than online sessions, but, in cases where you cannot find an in-person human being, here are our procedures to get help from us:
1. Copy and paste the prompt for the assignment you’re working on into an email message;
2. In a few sentences, let us know your concerns and how you’d like us to help you;
3. Attach your text via a MSWord document (.docx) to the message;
4. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
A tutor will send you your document back within 48 hours (two business days) with comments to help you. The 48-hour turn-around time does not include weekends; please plan accordingly. You are welcome to make revisions and send the same paper in again if need be.
Here’s what you can expect the Writing Center to do for you:
- Read your papers carefully and try to understand your purpose;
- Give you written feedback regarding a paper’s response to the prompt, its organization, its citation of other sources (if applicable), and other such big-picture items;
- Include some comments about your sentences, word choices, and style so you can attend to editing concerns in your papers;
- Attach helpful documents for further assistance, such as style guides and shortcuts.
Here’s what you can expect the Writing Center to NOT do for you:
- Tell you what grade you can expect from your professor on any assignment;
- Line edit your papers so that every sentence conforms to Standard Written English;
- Write actual sentences or paragraphs for you to include in your paper;
- Move your request for feedback forward because of your paper’s due date.
If you have further questions, you may send an email to Cole.Bennett@acu.edu, or else call 325.674.4833.