One Night in Bangkok

14 Commentsby   |  06.01.11  |  Chiang Mai, Thailand

I’m not sure what day it is. I believe it’s very early morning on Tuesday in Bangkok. That makes it about 2 p.m. in Denver, which probably explains why I’m wide awake even after sleeping only about six hours in the last 45.

So now, having taken perhaps the most needed shower of my life, I’m sitting crossed-legged on the tiny, tiled patio in the room where I’m spending the night in Bangkok until my flight leaves tomorrow. Earlier, when I stepped outside the impressive new terminal of the Suvarnabmuni (“Su-van-a-pum,” go figure) airport, the heavy tropical air met me at the doorway and hung in my hair and recurled my unwashed curls all the way to the hotel. The air condition in the van and the room was welcome.

Now, I don’t want to go back inside. The air condition feels so sterile and, in a very cool, refreshing way, strangely stuffy. Outside, I’ve never smelled air like this before. I suppose it could just be the smell of pollution, but the tropical air is heavy and muggy; the crickets are chirping, just audible above the hum of the air conditioner; the occasional insect buzzes between the palm trees while they rock back and forth in the breeze; and the city lights make the clouds glow like giant rolling sheets of mist. Motorcycles are passing by in the street just beyond where the hotel is tucked away from the highway, and Thai music is pulsing from one of the neighboring apartment rooms. It’s almost a drugging effect, all of this. I would like to sit here for a very long time.

But about the trip. The Pacific Ocean, as it turns out, is rather expansive. That translates into a very long flight. But I did sit next to two very friendly girls from Singapore on the way from LA to Tokyo–they’d just spent a few weeks studying in Oklahoma City. A thrilling study abroad experience, I guess.

We landed in Tokyo, and the Narita airport is either nothing too exciting or I was half asleep. Our flight left in the evening for Bangkok, and I watched from my window seat as twilight fell over Japan, the cities lighting up all along the islands that are surrounded by this great wall of ocean on both sides. The water literally looked like it was having to be held back.

On the way to Bangkok, I sat next to a woman from Thailand who has lived in Oklahoma for years. Apparently Oklahoma is a popular place nowadays…who knew. She was telling me all about Thailand and teaching me a few Thai phrases. But since landing in Bangkok, people’s faces seem to get this amused smile each time I say hello or thank you, so I wonder what I’m actually saying.

Strange feeling #1: landing in the airport, tired, taller than just about everyone, and clearly a tourist with a confused, half-awake stare that, I assume, had a lot to do with why everyone was being so overly helpful.
Strange feeling #2: actually considering asking the three-year-old Thai children for help when I overheard them speaking Thai fluently.
Strange feeling #3: chasing down the terminal after a well-intentioned shuttle driver from another hotel very quickly whisked my suitcase away. He was smiling and apologetic every time he walked by while I waited for the right shuttle. I assured him it was quite all right.

Oh, and it’s started thundering now–long, rolling swells through the sky like a soundtrack to the lightning show in the distance. Yes, I think I love this.

1. Denny

Tim Rice, Benny Andersson, and Björn Ulvaeus’ concept album and eventual musical, Chess, has the song “One Night in Bangkok.”

Top Life Insurance company in USA

2. Peter

We want the best travel and lodging experiences when we vacation in a foreign country. And while preparing for one, budget is a key factor.
    Visit here https://usacleaningcompanies.com/ Cleaning Companies in USA

3. BLord

You reminded me of the song “One Night in Bangkok” with your story, a classic pop song from the 1980s that continues to be popular today. The song tells the story of a world-weary traveler who finds himself in Bangkok for just one night, experiencing the vibrant nightlife and exoticism cities. As my friend wrote in a controversial essay , this song has become a cultural touchstone, evoking images of adventure, excitement and the temptation of the exotic thanks to its catchy melody and famous lyrics “One Night in Bangkok”

4. Bately

If you want to fully experience Thai culture and participate in more activities. You might stay for a week or longer.
    Click here https://theorangesolar.com/generators/ Best Generators in Woodland CA

5. Palmer Cruz

Reading about your experience in Bangkok brings to mind the importance of comfort wherever we are. Just like the way you found solace in your tiny, tiled patio, having the right flooring at home can create a soothing atmosphere. Speaking of flooring, if you’re considering a change and need to know the costs, offers excellent flooring estimating services . Much like the relief of the air conditioning in your room, their accurate estimates can provide a breath of fresh air for your home improvement plans. Whether it’s the uniqueness of Bangkok or the uniqueness of your space, [Your Company Name] can help you make the right choices. Reach out to them to transform your space with the perfect flooring.”

6. Elva

Grand Theft Auto 5’s online multiplayer is one of the most amazing experiences in modern gaming. It’s been three years since it was first released, and it’s still going strong with a great and dedicated community. In the quest for dominance, players addicted to the open-world realism of the GTA universe battle for rankings, unlocks, dominion, and of course, cash. The online component of GTA 5 is one of the most fun, competitive and hardcore experiences in console gaming. But three years later, and as one might expect, GTA V’s metagame has plenty of powerful people that newbies can struggle to catch up to, as players must go through level progression and gear honing to achieve victory. Boost. This is where the GTA 5 modded Accounts comes in.

7. Tim

This song is a song from the concept album and subsequent musical Chess by Tim Rice, Benny Andersson, and Björn Ulvaeus.

Car Rental Experts in Hollywood FL

8. jason

Bearings are an essential component in many mechanical devices. They allow for smooth rotation and reduce friction between moving parts. Four row inch taper roller bearings are many different types of bearings, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Some common types of bearings include ball bearings, roller bearings, and thrust bearings.

9. Johnny Martin

Count on our Post Construction Cleaning Experts in Farmington, CT for meticulous cleanup after building or renovation projects. Our skilled team excels in debris removal, detailed cleaning, and ensuring your newly constructed or renovated space shines with perfection.

Post Construction Cleaning Experts in Farmington CT

10. faselnews.com

An Egyptian website that contains the latest and most important topics in all fields. Our goal

is to provide strong Arabic content of interest to everyone, we hope to be the largest Egyptian

website on the Internet.فاصل نيوز

11. IELTS preparation in Nepal

“One Night in Bangkok” encapsulates the vibrant energy and allure of Thailand’s capital. From bustling street markets to ornate temples, the city pulsates with life. Its eclectic mix of culture, cuisine, and nightlife offers an unforgettable experience, embodying the essence of urban adventure.

12. spa near me

Our masseuse therapy therapists have the talent to keep your mind relaxed so make sure you enjoy our therapists and enjoy your time, so come to body massage near me center for take service by hot girl as your choice

13. mcdvoice

Everyone knows about McDonald”s fast food chain. It was the first to bring out a commercial and successful business from the American Hamburger in 1940. Later, the chain of McD Restaurants and Drive with additions to the menu were developed to attract and satisfy larger masses of customers.

14. b2b massage in chennai

This simple combination can provide many benefits, including reducing stress and promoting muscle relaxation