Welcome to Beijing

Tags:

11 Commentsby   |  06.06.11  |  Beijing, China

Well, I wish that I could say that everything has been amazing since I got here, but that’s not exactly the case. I have seen the hand of Providence as I traveled and as I have met and made pretty good friends with the other volunteers that I will be living, working, and playing with over the next couple of months. I will admit though that I was not at all prepared for the shock of this new culture, and have really struggled to take everything in, even more so because I’ve been sick for the last couple of days as I’m trying to get used to the food. The learning curve here is steep. I have been forced to learn to use chopsticks, ride a tandem bike (I never learned to ride a bike as a kid, and that’s must here, so my friends are helping me work my way up), and also use a squat toilet. Oh, and we won’t even get in to how it feels to not understand a word of the language! I’ve also had to learn much about living so far away from Community and fighting for joy and actively seeking as I wait on the Lord. I’m not sure why I thought that simply because I am following the Call, I would not have to battle fear and anxiety and cry out to see Promises come to pass. It wasn’t that way for the Israelites. Yes, God prepared the way for them, but He also left enemies in the Promised Land. We all have to learn to stand and fight and live day by day in full Dependence.

Truly, China is a whole other world. The parts of Beijing I have seen look nothing like the Olympic footage. It is so incredibly crowded and dirty in most places, and yet so clean and modern in others. I am struck by the poverty and yet astounded by the lights and the amazing architecture. I can tell this summer will teach me so much and really reshape my worldview. So far I’ve had one day (Friday) to see what Bethel and my work will be like. I’m excited that I will have more time beginning tomorrow (today is a Chinese holiday called the Dragon Boat Festival) to get into my work and get to know these wonderful kids. Each day brings more peace and hope as I adjust and wait to see what God is going to do through me. These last few days have been thoroughly humbling and I have reached a new point of dependence on God. I can’t believe how much more there is to do and to learn over the rest of this summer!

1. Lisa Younce

Steph,
    I know you will be such a blessing there in your work and with those you meet! I am praying for you and all the ways that God will grow your faith in the ways you never imagined.
    Love you!
    Lisa

2. Fariz

Love you!
    Ninjalagu

3. IT Support in South Ockendon

Thanks for this great post. Waiting for the next post.
    We would like to introduce to you something really great for you.
    That is IT Support in South Ockendon. Leading ICT Support company in London – Go Live UK.
    Strategic IT Support ™ Team for the Construction and Financial Industries providing critical protection for computer networks and digital assets, South Ockendon IT Support. IT Support and Services South Ockendon, Cybersecurity services, IT Help desk, IT managed services, IT consultants.
    Check out for more details.
    https://it-company.goliveuk.com/it-support-in-south-ockendon/

4. Denny

As I traveled and as I got to know the other volunteers I would be residing with, working with, and having fun with over the coming few months, I was able to witness the hand of Providence.

Visit here https://bestmobilenotaryusa.com Best Online Notary Service

5. Bately

Beijing is most well-known for the Great Wall, the world’s longest wall, and one of the most amazing views in the entire globe.
    Click here https://photographyservicesusa.com Photography Services USA

6. eggy car

Very good article, the sharing is quite interesting and useful to me. I have learned a lot from your post. hope that you will have more new articles in the near future!

7. peter

Beijing, a rich fusion of tradition and modernity, delights with its antique wonders and fiery cityscape, leaving guests in wonder of its cultural attractiveness.
    Click here https://shyneautoandtowservices.com/flat-tire-removal-and-spare-replacement-in-wahiawa-hi/ Tire Removal and Spare Replacement in Wahiawa HI

8. Rina

Beijing is a good place. I love this city. Buy cheap Blue Protocol Gold with huge stock and instant delivery. 24/7 online support to answer your questions anytime.

9. Hessa Joseph

Great and the admiring discussions going on, but also get the most amazing law assignment in UK easily in all over the UK.

10. Robert Walker

Thank you so much for the warm welcome to Beijing. It’s been an eventful start, with a mix of incredible moments and challenges. I’ve already met some fantastic fellow volunteers, and together, we’re embarking on this journey. Adapting to the new culture has been more of a challenge than I anticipated, not unlike the first time I tried Kaya Butter Steamed bread Menu– a learning curve indeed. Still, I’m hopeful and excited about the months ahead. Your support means the world to me.