Paolo Marchesi

1 Commentby   |  10.26.14  |  Announcements

Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 6.12.46 pm Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 6.14.39 pm

Paolo Marchesi is another photographer I am extremely jealous of his talent. Going through his works I noticed that he takes an artistic approach to action. With sports photography its easy to approach the subject matter in a perspective that is appropriate to publish for a newspaper. I, myself, tend to stay in this realm of shooting for a newspaper (since I pretty much do) and not explore beyond what is expected of me. Looking through Marchesi’s pictures definitely lit a fire under my butt to expand my approach to sports, and action in general, in a different view. The first photo I pulled from his gallery really caught my eye because it is showing the swimmer in a different perspective than what spectators are available to see. Also putting the picture in black and white brings an extreme, but eye popping contrast between the swimmer and the water that brings stillness to chaos. The second picture, first off, is extraordinarily impressive from capturing an underwater picture of a man grabbing a fish. Grabbing a fish with your bare hands is already a rare feat to accomplish, let alone capturing that with your camera and still managing to produce a beautiful product. Again, his perspective here is amazing, but what makes this picture special is his use of depth of field.  So overall I feel like his work is extremely powerful because it has a running theme of bringing stillness to chaos that leaves a sense of peace to the picture. His work definitely inspires me and hopefully someday I will have access to the equipment and opportunity to take the kind of pictures that Paolo Marchesi takes.

1 Comment

1. Caroline Levinson

WOW. I am in awe at Paolo’s “Underwater” pictures in his portfolio. Man, that is so cool! I am a certified scuba diver, so it gives me chills when someone is able to capture, in beautiful lighting, the amazing essence of what it is like to be in the ocean. This really inspires me in the incredible possibilities of underwater pictures.