The White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection (1958-1972) is processed and ready for researchers. The finding aid for the papers and digitized selections are now available on DigitalCommons@ACU.
White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching was founded in 1964 in West Monroe, Louisiana as part of a wave of schools of preaching founded in the 1960s in response to the lacuna that was preaching vacancies. The school of Preaching was pietistic in its theological approach. The curriculum was heavily bibliocentric with, essentially, all of its documents explicitly or implicitly pertaining to the biblical text. White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching closed in 1992, however, the latest documents within this collection date to 1972.
This collection contains documents from the White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching which includes syllabi, lesson plans, lecture manuscripts, sermons, polemics and apologetic materials. Materials included within this collection were used for classes at the school of preaching. Most documents within this collection are either loosely exegetical or homiletic materials concerning the biblical text. A smaller portion of the collection is devoted to practical theological matters concerning the Churches of Christ as well as apologetic and polemic materials. The most prolific contributors to this collection of texts include Ed Sanders, William H. Smith, Harold G. Taylor, and J.J. Turner. Other notable authors whose documents are included within this collection are J.D. Bales, L.V. Pfeifer, and Paul C. Witt.