Wade Huggins (’10) | Biblical Text and Music

by   |  11.10.11  |  Bible, Missions & Ministry, Music

Biblical text major and music minor
(Abilene, Texas)

“Music is a language that doesn’t need words to communicate – one that can cross cultural and divisive barriers and truly inspire people,” says senior Biblical Text major and Music minor, Wade Huggins.

Wade has had plenty of opportunities to speak that language at ACU, as host of Sing Song and a member of A Cappella Chorus, University Chorale and Vocal Jazz Ensemble. This spring he will head to Boston, where he’s been accepted to graduate school at Berklee College of Music.

Music as worship

When Wade picks up a microphone or steps out in front of a congregation, something happens – something powerful and beyond the scope of human understanding. He isn’t just putting on a show for the crowd. For him, it’s a time of communion with God.

“Music is not about my glorification, but God’s. As long as I can keep seeking Him in my music, He will give me the notes and melodies to sing that will continue to draw us closer to Him.”

“To me, all music is worship,” he says. “All music I do, whether on a stage in front of a lot of people or in a practice room by myself – in church and out of church – is worship.”

Combining two loves

Wade has had a passion for music since he was a young child – as proven by videos of him at age 2 with a little plastic guitar and microphone, singing Christmas carols. When he arrived at ACU, Wade sought an interdisciplinary Bible/music major in an effort to combine two of the subjects he loved most. During his junior year, he chose to major in Biblical Text and minor in music.

“I decided I wanted to go a different route and really deepen my knowledge of the Bible,” he says. “My Biblical Text degree has given me not only knowledge of scripture, but how to be a minister. The mesh of the two will help me in the future with worship ministry both inside and outside the church.”

Wade has been involved in several music-related events at ACU, including Sing Song.

“Being a host was an incredible performance opportunity and one of the high points of my time here at ACU,” he says. “The people I got to know and build relationships with will be with me for the rest of my life.”

Wade also serves as part-time worship minister at Southern Hills Church of Christ. He finds opportunities in the worship setting to not only praise God, but to explore the practical side of worship ministry in a hands-on manner.

“It has offered me the opportunity to know what it takes to run a worship ministry, which has been such a blessing,” he says.

ACU: A launching pad

Wade sees his time at ACU as a formative experience, in both an academic and a personal sense. The opportunities to interact with professors and fellow students have changed his faith and strengthened his connection to God.

“My time here has given me experiences with people who constantly challenge me to follow in Jesus’ footsteps,” he says. “ACU is a launching pad – a place where you can bring your focus onto God before you enter the world.”

As Wade heads to Boston, he takes with him a background rich with the combined influences of faith and music. He is excited about the possibilities of further education and a career – but at the same time, he knows where his focus lies.

“I know that if I ‘make it’ and am able to record and perform music for a living, then that music will be my expression of worship to God. It is because of Him I can sing; it will be because of Him if I am able to do that for a living.”

Learn more about the Department of Bible, Missions & Ministry at ACU