Julie Dieltz (’11) | Music

by   |  04.25.12  |  Music

Graduate student  of music
Southern Methodist University
Hometown: Sioux Falls, S.D.

Two factors brought Julie Dieltz (’11) to ACU: a love of musical performance and a desire to continue working with a music professor with whom she had developed a special bond.

After completing four years at the University of South Dakota, Julie made the move to Texas when her voice teacher at USD, Dr. Rick Piersall, made the same move, becoming an assistant professor of voice and director of opera at ACU. For Julie, this decision meant starting college over – a decision she is thankful she made.

Starting over

“After praying, speaking with my family, Rick and my friends, I made the decision to transfer and start over,” Julie says. “That was one of the hardest decisions of my life. I left all of my friends, my sorority sisters and the faculty who had been there for a lot of my musical journey. Nevertheless, it was the best thing I have ever done.”

Julie began her college career studying piano performance. However, before transferring to ACU, she switched to vocal performance  – and this soprano has never looked back.

“I love that singing is something that is not just for me. Everyday, I try to remember what I have is a gift from God that I need to share with others,” she says. “Something my pastor from home reminded me about not too long ago. That’s why I’m always singing at my church at home. It’s for the glory of God, not for me.”

At ACU, Julie honed her skills as a vocal performer, playing prominent roles in performances ofAmahl and the Night Visitors and The Consul. In the fall of 2011, she enrolled in graduate school at Southern Methodist University to study vocal performance on a full scholarship.

Growing in faith

As she sharpened her skills as a performer, her faith was sharpened as well.

“When I started my first year at ACU, I was not in the best place in life. I had made some bad choices and had let my faith fall to the wayside. In one year at ACU, I realized a lot of what I had been doing had been for me, not for God. I have since started growing in my faith again,” Julie says.

As she has transitioned to the next chapter in her life, Julie has no regrets about coming to ACU. She believes the relationships she built while on campus will last a lifetime.

“I think the most important thing I learned was to just be myself. I got to completely start over at age 22. I had the opportunity to make new friends, meet new people and show people who I really am,” Julie says. “There was no need for false advertising. People at ACU care about you no matter what.”

Learn more about the ACU Music Department