Existential Guilt

1 Commentby   |  04.24.10  |  The Schools of Psychology (Part IV)

I am personally a pretty big fan of existential psychology. I don’t necessarily think it is the best form of therapy for everyone or that it “trumps” any of the other schools of psychology, I just find it extremely interesting and beneficial, particularly in my personal life.

One of the aspects I find most intruiging is the idea of existential guilt. The following is a brief quote about Heidegger’s view of guilt: “Heidegger believed that if we do not exercise our personal freedom, we experience guilt. Because most people do not fully exercise their freedom to choose, they experience at least some guilt. All humans can do to minimize guilt is try to live an authentic life–that is, to recognize and live in accordance with their ability to choose their own existence.”

I think this is a fairly legit way to describe why we experience guilt. I tend to lean towards the position that humans have a least some kind of free will to makes choices in their life, and therefore, I know that when I personally fail to make the “right” decisions about something, I am often left with a strong sense of guilt. For example, when I used to lie to my parents about something that happened at school, I became so full of guilt that I would eventually have to go running back to them to appologize and tell them how I lied. Overall, I think that this existential view of guilt rings true, and the best way to limit the amount of guilt in one’s life is to live an authentic life.

1 Comment

1. Riane Cochran

I too find existential psychology interesting. Heidegger’s ideas on guilt that you wrote about is rather intriguing. What it made me think of is people who make “bad” choices and seem to feel no guilt about it. This always seems so weird to me, because I tend to have a strong conscience. After pondering Heideggar’s theory however, I think it could make sense. Maybe the people who make these bad choices, with no remorse, hold the belief that they are the ones in control of their lives. It would make sense for a nonbeliever to not regret any bad choices because they feel that they have the right to exercise their complete personal freedom and that they have the ability to completely choose their own existence (since there is no God). I’m not sure if that even makes sense..but it made me think!