Happiness In Music

1 Commentby   |  09.06.10  |  Pre-Renaissance (Part I)

The definition of happiness by  

Epicurus: "Happiness is man's greatest aim in life. Tranquility and rationality are the cornerstones of happiness."

Are we all looking to find happiness? We all like to be happy.  We like when others make us feel happy and I would like to assume that we too like to makes others happy.  Helen Keller describe happiness: "True happiness is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose." Bette Davis  states: "You will never be happier than you expect. To change your happiness, change your expectation."  Musicians are by no means the "scholars" of modern time nor do the speak for everyone but I believe many if not all songs speak truth about life.  Happiness is a common reoccurring theme in all genres of music.  Sometimes the pursuit of happiness is seen as a bad thing that makes us do selfish things but others see it as the reason to do good. Some of the songs that first come to mind are:

Saves The Day- Obsolete
"Who says what happy really means?

Tonight I will redefine everything and tomorrow I will start in on my better days
And so each their own definition of happiness
But no one ever reaches it so I don’t think I’ll breathe that way
But happiness is when there’s nowhere left to go

Because in that state of mind there is no state of self"

The Weepies- Happiness

"It's a mean town but I don't care

Try and steal this

Can't steal happiness"

Dead Prez- Happiness

"If I had a chance to make a wish

Every day would be just like this, full of Happiness

I feel great

Even though we got mad things to deal with

Happiness is all in the mind

Let's unwind, and find a reason to smile

I'm just glad to be livin'

Feelin' fine

Leavin' my bad times behind"

The Fray- Happiness

Kid Cudi- Pursuit of Happiness

John Cougar Mellencamp- Love and Happiness
The Verve- Lucky Man
The Verve- Happiness Is

1 Comment

1. Danielle Urias

First off, I love the weepies and that song by Kid Cudi, but I already know I like your music taste. =]

The idea that man is not searching for some supreme rational ideal or an ascension to a higher spiritual plane, but instead, the simple pursuit of happiness is very appealing. And I believe it was Aristotle who said, “Happiness depends upon ourselves,” which is the idea that we have the ability to decide what our reaction will be, thereby taking it upon ourselves to determine our own happiness. I agree with his statement in that, I do think we have a large amount of control over our reactions. However, I am always striving not just to be happy, but instead, always joyful. Happiness as I have come to learn it, is more temporal and I want a lifelong source of joy, even in hard times.