How Controlling is “The Cave”?

1 Commentby   |  09.06.10  |  Pre-Renaissance (Part I)

At first glance I didn’t realize how true Plato’s outlook on the cave philosophy really was and still is to this day. Plato makes a valid and very persuading point that society, as a whole, is very comfortable with where they are in their lives.

One thing that I started to think about was the different areas of life this cave metaphor could be used. People of today’s world are now being controlled by family, friends, movies, magazines, entertainment in general! We are too worried about what others think and have it crammed into our heads so much that we start to think those insane beliefs are our beliefs.

I believe we all have our own little caves we have been trapped in since we have been born. The Matrix is a perfect example of how controlling our world can be if we allow it. The idea of everyone being robots that are being controlled to make every move is a little over the top, but this idea of not having control of your own actions is not too far from the truth about how our society is run today.

1 Comment

1. Rebekah Hernandez

I must admit that agree wholeheartedly with you. Popular propaganda has, indeed, become an ever increasing problem that I have come well beyond the point of fearing its’ effects. For example, my five year old cousin is the pretties little girl I have ever seen (and no I am not biased). Recently, she has become obsessed with her looks. She spends hours in the mirror fixing her hair, or other such similar activities, and then asks questions like, “Do you like my hair straight or curly?” or “do I look fat in this?”. When she asked me the last question, I literally almost cried. For years, I struggled with eating disorders and they did not start until I was at least twelve. And there was my baby cousin, posing in a dress and sucking in her tiny tummy, asking me if she was fat!! I was horrified and, therefore, I am very happy you brought this subject up in your post because we not only need to be aware of this problem but also address this problem and change things.