Reawakening Objective Inquiry

0 Commentsby   |  09.20.10  |  Renaissance/Premodern (Part II)

When I think about the Renaissance, what I think about most are the different major factors that stirred the spirit of objective inquiry. We have seen throughout history that certain bold accomplishments have triggered change and these contributing factors are what made it all possible. Marco Polo’s explorations of central Asia, Christopher Columbus’ discovery of the New World, and Luther’s challenge to Catholicism are just a few of these events. These ideas were bold in that they challenged ideas and opinions that had been accepted as laws once before. These ideas expanded what the world knew and they helped the world to better understand that some of the “truths” were indeed not truths at all. Events such as these shaped our world today and enlightening changes are always happening even today.

While I can think of many changes that have reawakened our society the one that I would like to discuss for just a moment is the tea party activists in American politics. When I came to ACU I began to get involved in the political views that our country held. I have followed Obama’s presidency and have found that political parties in our country are slowly changing. Recently I have come to find out that there is yet another political party that is rising in America, the tea party activists. I once believed that these people were traditional Republicans but as of late I have discovered that while they are Republican they are taking on a new face entirely. Not only are their ideas becoming more popular but tea party activists are now winning elections against other esteemed Republicans in states all over the U.S. in hopes to win back the House and Senate in the upcoming midterm elections.

While tea party activists believe very conservatively as traditional Republicans they see that the Republican party has not been doing it right and that changes need to be made. While this is just a small example it is proof that there are still events happening that are awakening the spirit of objective inquiry.