The God Module

1 Commentby   |  10.10.10  |  The Beginnings of Scientific Psychology (Part III-B)

As a result of our talk on Wednesday about the “God module,” I decided to take a better look at the article on Bb critiquing Dawkins’ God Delusion. For the most part I have to agree with it. Often Dawkins looks at Christianity or any religion and has over simplified it. Differing creations stories in the Bible are seen as contradictory pieces of empirical evidence rather than the compilation of the character of the complex nature of God. In this instance, Dawkins has failed to be a true student and learner concerning these texts. He expects all of the Bible to be fully taken at face-value with no consideration of Hebrew literary style and genre. Prose is different than poetry, betrothal scenes are different than mysterious scenes of angelic strangers (Jacob at the Jabbock and Moses’ Bridegroom of Blood) and Hebrew numerology conveys more meaning than it does fact (ex: 40 years [Israelites in the wilderness] and 100 years [the age of each generation listed in Exodus 6] very commonly refer to the time of a generation and not an actual period of time). Dawkins seeks to convey expert advice concerning the validity of religion, yet he is not engaging several of his greatest critiques and most important texts in the process. The readers of many texts (including the Bible) understood what was taken at face value and what was considered to be a rhetorical or literary device. Some of Dawkins critics believe he is merely looking at religion as a “straw man.” In other words, he has taken something complex and has simplified it in such a way that it can be easily knocked over and invalidated. In his writings, yes it seems he has failed to dive more deeply in this subject matter of theology. However, his own life does not attest to what he says. While studying abroad in Oxford, I attended church at St. Aldates with one of Dawkins’ neighbors. I don’t recall his name anymore, but he was an extraordinary Christian. He had a wonderful wife and family, and created his own organization, VIVA, in his 20s to help connect impoverished street kids and local humanitarian efforts around the world with one another. He often reached out to Dawkins, and was a friend to him. Though I don’t know how these efforts went, I do know Dawkins is (due to his location) in a continual relationship with an extraordinary believer. I don’t think this is an accident. Theology may be made a straw man, and the God module may be seen as the straightforward reason for inklings of God, but a compassionate neighbor is no delusion.

I also feel the need to address the God module while I am on the general topic. I see no discrepancy between a part of the brain wired for theology and the existence of God. I am reminded of the curses God puts on the man and the woman as they leave the garden. God seems to be acting mercifully when he curses them. Their lives after the fall will be full of pain, selfishness, feelings of superiority, a lack of care for others, etc. God is merciful when he creates a longing in Adam and Eve for something more. In their pain they will cry out to God and find him. In their longings, they will be made whole again. It is this desire and longing that God wires into us that reminds me of the God module.

1 Comment

1. Danielle Urias

Anne, it’s so refreshing to hear your perspective on this topic. I completely agree with you regarding the analysis of prose versus poetry as well as the importance of considering style and genre.

It’s so interesting to know about Dawkins’ compassionate neighbor. Ever since I became familiar with the idea of a “God-shaped” hole that exists within every person, I have found it continually fascinating. God’s never failing love is evident and even supported with the idea of a God module. Great post.