It’s in Us

1 Commentby   |  10.13.10  |  Announcements

I always thought religion was a personal choice and I still do. But I find it interesting that odds are that we will believe similar concepts as our family does. When we talked about genetics playing a role in religion it made me wonder how close my families' beliefs are to mine. I stray off a bit from what I was raised to believe, but if you look at my family a lot of us stray off from what we are originally taught and we all question what our parents tell us to believe. I didn't think about it a whole lot until this class but now I am curious as to what made them decide to start questioning religious teachings. 

In class this quote was mentioned: 
"When the life of the soul is connected in every detail by bodily organs and processes, how can it be detached from the body and survive it?" 

This quote made me laugh at first because I wondered if maybe all of those people who's bodies are still found after years of being buried where the people who didn't make it to heaven. But then I started seriously thinking about the question. How can we even prove what the soul is? It is a manmade concept so technically we can shape it into whatever we decide. But maybe (assuming it is all connect) the soul separates itself from the body after death like a chemical bonds. (For those non-Chemistry people) Chemical bonds help hold everything together, but certain procedures (maybe death when talking about the soul) can cause the chemical bond to break and thus you have two product chemicals. Maybe death causes the soul and body to separate and result in two products from one "body" (reactant).

1 Comment

1. Alyssa Bowyer

i definitely agree that our perception of religion is greatly affected by our parents views and how they raised us. Most people are seen as following in similar foot steps or following an exactly opposite path. It just depends on how you were affected by your parents’ religious views.