I Choose Not to be a Racist

5 Commentsby   |  11.21.10  |  The Schools of Psychology (Part IV-B)

I do not think that automatic responses (as we discussed in class on Friday) are an indicator that all our behavior is predetermined.  I understand that we have automatic processes.  I think that these exist in order to help us sort through the massive amounts of data and stimuli that enter our senses and minds every day.  We need these automatic responses in order to sort and respond to information quickly—sometimes these responses are even used to help us in life and death situations when it is imperative that we act without much thinking.  That being said, I believe that we have the capacity as humans to choose not to accept or act upon these automatic responses.  If we know that we are responding due to an automatic thought process, we can make a different choice.

I found the studies that Dr. McAnulty presented to us on Friday to be interesting.  I would like to proffer another example of an automatic response test.  When I was in my social psychology class, we took an implicit association test.  This test is supposed to measure whether a person prefers one race (white or black) to another race.  In this test, the participant has to perform four tasks.  The first task is to identify European American faces or African American faces as quickly as possible.  Secondly, the participant is asked to identify “good” or “bad” words (such as “glorious,” “awful,” etc.).  Next the participant is shown faces and words; “bad” words and African American faces are identified with the same key stroke and “good” words and European American faces are identified with the same key stroke.  Finally, the previous step is reversed.

Every time I have taken this test, I have scored “strongly prefers European Americans.”  If I believed that only automatic or implicit associations informed my actions, I would be very upset.  Instead, I know that I form opinions about people based upon the people individually.  I like African American people and I like white people.  I also dislike some white people and some African American people (although I can think of more white people I dislike than African American people.

If you would like to try out the implicit association test (and I would strongly recommend taking a few minutes to try it out) the link follows.  It only takes a few short minutes and the results are interesting.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Study?tid=-1

PS: one of the flaws I find with the test is the order in which things are presented.  First you are asked to associate African Americans with negative words, then, when you are used to that set of information, you are asked to change and associate African Americans with positive words.  I think that the order may influence the test results–but that is just my opinion.

1. Danielle Urias

I think that is definitely a flaw with this test. I wonder if they have ever reversed the order and started off with European Americans.

And of course, I wholeheartedly agree with you. The fact that we unconsciously categorized and sort things in our minds does not necessarily mean we are predetermined to be racist. Although, I won’t deny the fact that I do think unconscious processes effect the way we see and treat others.

As human beings though, we have the wonderful ability to look past our automatic “schemas” and make conscious decisions regarding how we will live and treat other people.

2. Jordan Johnson

As for the experiment itself i think your probably right that the order has an influence on the participants, but the results as a whole could be correct if half the participants are started off one way and the others, another way. May want to check on that? As for the part on free will while categorizing information strengthens the argument for determinism, i would like to hear more about the support for free choice in the specific matter. Good Post!

3. Jeremiah Blalock

i think it’s an interesting post, and find it interesting. You are aware of what the test is doing, probably because of what you’ve learned and seen in similar instances perhaps. Had you not picked this knowledge up, I wonder, would you still be so apt to shoot it down or go against what they want to accomplish? just a thought, great post though.

4. Rachel Jinkerson

I took the test and it told me that I prefer European Americans as well. However, I have always thought of myself as viewing people equally and I have many friends of different races. I think that we can choose to behave in a way that treats everyone with equality even if this test shows that I do not view everyone that way. I do not agree with my results.

5. Bradley Campbell

Amy, this is a great post. I appreciate you linking the test. I took it as well and received the same diagnosis. However I wonder how much of this is simply attributed to what we recognize first vs. prefer.