Carl Rogers Blog 4

0 Commentsby   |  05.03.11  |  Pre-Renaissance (Part I)

In class we discussed Carl Rogers and his particular way of counseling known as Client Centered Therapy. I like the idea of Rogers concept of client centered therapy because he emphasized the importance of the therapist being genuine about his or her true feelings toward the client. I feel like this is important in order to gain the clients trust and build a relationship with them that is more than just client and therapist. However, it allows you to build a relationship that is still professional and willing to achieve the client goal in the end.
He states that congruence is primary in the relationship where positive regard and empathy come secondary. I also agree with his idea that in order to set up an atmosphere for change you have show acceptance or caring. If the client knows that you accept them for who they are and what they bring to the table they will be more willing to go through change with you. I also agree with his choice for the third characteristic of empathic understanding. This simply means that you show active listening to the individual; this is what everyone wants, simply someone to listen to them. When watching the clip of Rogers and Gloria it is obvious to see that he just sits back and lets her talk or vent to him. However, he does this in a way that in the end leads them to figure out their inner demons or issues on their own with as little guidance or push from him as possible.
When relating this to a Christian aspect I think this could be a useful therapy in a Christian setting. Showing love, care, empathizing and showing concern for others is what a Christian does. One website I found had great information on the Christian role of Person Centered Therapy. It states, “The Christian therapists using person-centric therapy must be cautious of the limitations it presents. Christian therapists must be ready to hold their clients accountable for their actions and behaviors. I agree that client should have a positive self-regard for self and others. My Christian values tell me that God should be the source of that positive self-regard. Christian therapists using person-centered therapy must help their clients view themselves through the eyes of God for a healthy view of themselves and others” (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/513963/personcentered_therapy_a_brief_christian_pg3.html?cat=72).