Read it Before You See it!

Jane Austen’s books are so timeless, romantic, and funny. While most only look at her as a romance writer, her writings are truly subversive for her time and even today. Emma published in 1815 was Austen’s last novel to be completed and published during her life. Sidenote: Persuasion was the last novel Austen wrote but was published posthumously.

Emma centers around Emma Woodhouse a young girl who tries her hand at matchmaking and ends up causing many problems along the way. Filled with youthful hubris and the perils of misconstrued romance, it’s an enjoyable novel that explores the concerns and difficulties of genteel women living in Georgian-Regency England.

Since its publication, there have been many films, TV programs, stage plays and inspiration for many novels.

While I love the 1996 Emma, starring Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma Woodhouse, I’m particularly excited about this upcoming movie premiering this Friday. The trailers show that they are bringing in more of the comedy aspects of this novel than in previous iterations (granted, I have not seen all of them).

As Emma is my favorite Jane Austen novel, I do hope they do it justice.

The trailer for it is below, but also be sure to check out Emma by Jane Austen or a book about Jane Austen. We have plenty of them down in the stacks!