Get to Know ACU Dallas Faculty | Dr. Peek

by   |  04.13.20  |  The Faculty

Dr. Peek, Ph.D., CCC/SLP

What brought you to ACU-Dallas?
I have lived in the DFW area for over 15 years and was always impressed with the things I heard regarding ACU’s CSD program. When I found out that they were starting a program in Dallas I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of it.

What area of speech and language is your specialty/favorite?
Working with the families of young children who are at risk for or have communication/speech/language difficulties is what I love to do as a professional.

What environments have you worked in?
I have worked in the following settings: early intervention; preschool; school; hospital (outpatient and inpatient); private practice; research and academia

How would you describe your teaching method?
I present and review concepts in a variety of ways (reading; lecture; discussion; group projects; case studies) so that hopefully I hit each students preferred learning method. I also spend a significant amount of time applying new knowledge to situations that will occur in the real world.

How does faith impact your profession or the profession of speech-language pathology in general?
I strongly believe in the blessing of vocation. I encourage students to explore and consider the ways in which God has created them uniquely to serve others through the field of speech-language pathology.

What is your favorite restaurant in Addison?
My favorite restaurant anywhere is anything Mexican.

What do you do to relax?
Read

What advice can you give to graduate students?
Be excited about the interesting and amazing things you will learn during the next two years!

What are you currently binge watching?
I am embarrassed to admit this, but Gossip Girl with my 18 year old daughter.

If you could travel anywhere right now, where would you go?
England

Do you have any pets?
I have two fluffy, white dogs – JJ and Mally. They love me the most of anyone in my house!

What are your hobbies?
Reading; Interior Design; Travel

Who is your favorite singer?
Vince Gill