325-674-2728 honors@acu.edu

by Lillian Roark  | Summer 2023 |

Daniel Kahneman, a Nobel Prize-winning scientist and Israeli-American psychologist and economist, suggests that we experience approximately 20,000 moments daily. The definition of a moment is a few seconds in which our brain records an experience. So many moments pass by, but some significant moments stick with us.

Studying abroad in Thailand and focusing on entrepreneurship was a big moment that impacted my life. My study abroad experience was outstanding, and I am very grateful for my time in Thailand. I went on the trip unsure of what to expect regarding the business visits, group activities, scenery, and more. Having an open mind about what we did, without expectations, helped me have more meaningful interactions with people and simply enjoy the journey. There are so many memories I made and lessons I learned during the two-and-a-half weeks that I could write about, so I will highlight a few.

From visiting so many unfamiliar places, a lot of memories were created just by looking around me and taking it all in. Thankfully, we took so many pictures to preserve those memories. Being in a country that speaks a different language and has cultural differences, I learned quickly to expect something new and unpredictable to happen daily. From watching the sunset on a bridge overlooking Bangkok to taking riverboats to Wat Arun, I was always kept on my toes, soaking in all the moments. We spent too much money on souvenirs for our family and friends back home at The Walking Street. We visited an elephant sanctuary. We tried new foods. A few of us hiked in Chiang Mai. We drank lots of coffee and tea, considering local shops were around every corner.

Togetherness and growing as an individual alongside others is a central part of studying abroad. Going into the trip, I did not realize how meaningful a community would be. I decided to study abroad with a close friend but did not know the other nine people well before the trip. But, after the first couple of days, it was like we had known each other forever. Not only did I get closer to my classmates, but I also met several people in Thailand who positively impacted me. We got to listen to several business owners, which was a great experience, and I am fortunate to hear their stories and listen to their advice.

Our professor, who went on the trip with us, used to live in Chiang Mai, so we met some of his friends and their families. Their hospitality and testimonies were very moving, and I am lucky to have met such noteworthy people. One of my favorite memories reflecting togetherness was from church service in Chiang Mai. The sense of community was predominant, and the people embraced us even though we were foreigners. I remember, during worship, they sang in Thai, and despite not knowing the language, I could feel God’s presence in that space. My study abroad experience in Thailand exceeded all my expectations, and I am fortunate for the memories I will cherish throughout the rest of my life.