325-674-2728 honors@acu.edu

by Liliana Rhodes | Fall 2023  |

Studying abroad has honestly changed me as a person in ways I never imagined. It has been incredibly formative in opening up my mind to new perspectives, cultures, and people. The memories and lessons I gained from this experience will stay with me forever and undoubtedly leave a huge mark on my life. As I have gotten older, I have had many more opportunities to travel, and it never fails to leave me in awe of God and his creation. During my study abroad semester, I had the opportunity to visit various parts of Italy, Greece, the Czech Republic, and Austria. Additionally, I primarily explored German towns such as Garmisch Partenkirchen, Dresden, Torgau, Wittenberg, Munich, Berlin, Erfurt, Frankfurt, and Weimar, but I have especially found a home in Leipzig. I have also lived in Texas my entire life, so seeing the architecture and nature around Europe has been so different than what I am used to in the best way possible. Being immersed in a new culture has been a challenge; however, it has pushed me to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. The German culture, in particular, is unique and has a lot to offer in terms of lifestyle and practices. I have learned a lot about the importance of health, both physically and mentally, and I hope to incorporate some of these practices into my life back home.

One of the biggest ways that I have grown from this experience is by encountering God in new and unexpected ways. Whether it was through the people I met, the places I visited, or the experiences I had, I saw God moving and working in a way that I had not experienced before. I am especially grateful for the opportunity to share it with others. Traveling is incredibly unique in the way that it enables you to gain a greater perspective and bond with others. Although it sounds cliché, I have discovered that the people you are with create your home and not the places you are in. Over time, I have grown super close to many people in the villa, and it is sad to think that we will never all be living together again. I hope that I do not forget all the little moments like the movie nights, cooking together, dance parties, playing cards on the train, and the late-night talks. All of these memories together are what have made the semester so special. We have shared countless moments of laughter, joy, and adventure, and I truly believe that we will remain friends far past our time in college. 

Regardless of the places that I was in, the entire study abroad experience was so incredible. There is no place I have traveled to that did not teach me something valuable. I will forever be grateful for this experience and how it has had such a positive impact on my life and faith.