Jean Jacques Rousseau

0 Commentsby   |  02.21.11  |  Renaissance/Premodern (Part II)

He has some very interesting philosophies that made me think twice about things. One of the ones I enjoyed and related to the most was the one about private property. He believes that the first person that stepped foot on a piece of land and proclaimed this is my property and my property only was a source of evil. He believes that many lives could have been spared if people would have and could just learn to share instead of saying mine mine mine all the time. Think about it, do you not feel better when you give someone something or share with someone then you do saying no that’s mine and you cannot have it. He expands on this more by talking about how if everyone used utilitarianism and cared more about the benefit of the whole than just themselves then the world would be a better place. I have to say for the most part I agree with him on this, even though I know I struggle with this constantly every day. I have to start learning that I cannot just have it my way all the time and look at life from others’ point of view instead of just relying on my own personal experiences.