Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

0 Commentsby   |  02.21.11  |  Renaissance/Premodern (Part II)

While Goethe was known for his skill in writing, his movement towards enlightenment, and his conservative political stance, his influence on Charles Darwin, and his theory of Colours, I wanted to take a look at some of his more philosophical quotes and their meanings. I think you can learn so much about a person from their own words and phrases. I found so many wise and applicable quotes but here are some of my favorites:

• “All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own.”
  • “Be above it! Make the world serve your purpose, but do not serve it.”
  • “Being brilliant is no great feat if you respect nothing.”
  • “Certain defects are necessary for the existence of individuality.”
  • “Do not give in too much to feelings. A overly sensitive heart is an unhappy possession on this shaky earth.”
  • “Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.”
    “He who possesses art and science has religion; he who does not possess them, needs religion.”
    “I can tell you, honest friend, what to believe: believe life; it teaches better that book or orator.”

It’s amazing how much wisdom and philosophy on life can be put into one phrase. I think I relate to Goethe in many ways. He talks about not conforming to earthy things and being your own person. I think it is very important to maintain your own individuality. He talks about his love for music and the arts and how he applies it to his faith. I think that a lot of Christians today are scared to express their faith in more than one way or see God in things outside of the church. Goethe was not afraid to do that and that is something I really respect and take after myself.  He also talks about having respect for others and God’s creation. The last thing I would like to point out is his push towards experiencing life first hand and making an effort to learn from your mistakes. I think he has some really good and interesting thoughts.