religion and psychology

3 Commentsby   |  03.21.11  |  Pre-Renaissance (Part I)

As we have talked about religion in this unit I have been really intrigued by the different approaches that psychology has towards religion. I am really interested in how personality influences religion on a personal level, and if personality does have a significant impact on religion, what implications does that have on how we approach religion and our religious community? Thinking about how individual differences and a person’s own psychological make-up might influence their beliefs has forced me to be more accepting in the thoughts and beliefs of others. If one faith group does not reflect the values and needs of all people does it mean that they are misguided in their faith, or that they are designed to believe differently?

1. Brittany Rexroat

I think you make a good point, but I believe we are all allowed to make our own assumptions and have our own morals when it comes to religion because it is a personal experience for each individual.

2. LeeAnn Green

I think that what you said about people being designed to thing differently is very interesting. I wonder if that can be applied to the way different generations think. The way our generation is much more open to so many more things than our parents generation for example. I think that a lot of this is the environment we grew up in but maybe this has something to do with the way we are made.

3. Anna Brinkman

Your question about people being designed to believe differently is a really good question. Compared (biologically) to all the other species in the world it seems that we as human beings are tied together by similarities. Our brains are, more or less, wired the same. So how is it that we are designed to believe differently? Religion is such a great example of the vast differences that are caused by society, upbringing, location, and even the way we are designed.