Roger’s Therapeutic Relationship Qualities

5 Commentsby   |  05.02.11  |  The Schools of Psychology (Part IV)

I readily agree with Roger’s three qualities of an ideal therapeutic relationship. I feel that perhaps these are not the sole cures to a client’s issues, but I completely understand how it would be quite necessary for their presence in therapy for improvements to occur. If the therapist’s office is no different than the world outside of it that the client has previously been exposed to, why should any action or internal quality change? The therapist must work to provide an atmosphere that is remarkably different than almost any other atmosphere the client is used to. If a client cannot face flaws, needs for change, or even areas of progress because a therapist has created an atmosphere of judgment, fear, or disapproval, both parties are wasting their time. To me, the whole reason that people go to therapy is to get objective advice from a professional that will keep confidentiality, respect, acceptance, and understanding to the utmost degree. Unconditional positive regard, empathy, and congruence simply further the chances of this trustworthy environment in which a client may discover growth.

1. Sam Gibbs

I completely agree with you on this idea. I feel like the quote on one of the power point slides speaks volumes to this very idea. I cannot remember the exact wording but it pretty much said if you criticize someone they are more likely to not open up to you, instead they will probably turn the other way. However, if you use unconditional positive regard towards them they are more likely to feel comfortable expressing their true thoughts and feelings.

2. Bradye McQueen

I agree completely! There is nothing more than a comfortable, accepting environment that can contribute to healing. Anything else just makes one feel worse about the problems they only have and their self worth.

3. Jodi Bell

I agree that the client is going to get help and that it is the counselors job to make sure that the client is comfortable and respected in that environment. However, I don’t think that congruence and approval are always a good idea. In some cases people need to hear what they don’t want to. I agree that this should be done with empathy, but telling your client what they don’t want to hear is just as much part of the job as telling them what they want to hear.

4. Garrett Beach

I think that genuineness is the most important aspect of Rogerian therapy. I know that if I were personally in counseling, I woulnd’t be able to open up to anyone fully unless I knew that they were being real with me.

5. Anna Brinkman

I, too, agree with you on this! I think that the three qualities are essential to establishing the type of client-therapist relationship that Rogerian Therapy is seeking. If the client is expected to spill their guts, they must first have a basis to trust the genuineness of the therapist. I wouldn’t want to open up to someone who I knew nothing about and felt judged by. Empathy and unconditional positive regard play a major part in trust.