Exegesis Paper – Genesis

A textual class I really enjoyed was Advanced Introduction to Old Testament.  Addressing Outcome 1.a-d ( a) Comprehends the full range of biblical materials b) Exercises sound critical exegetical practices c) Critically evaluates scholarly views and traditional readings and applies them constructively in the interpretation of biblical texts d) Exhibits theological discernment in the identification, evaluation, and synthesis of fundamental biblical themes) I am attaching my Old Testament Exegesis Paper on Genesis 4:1-16.   Pushing myself to examine Scripture through an exegetical lens has opened my eyes to the vastness and complexity of God.  Historical, textual, source, and literary criticism cause me to question the limitations I have often placed on God, and push myself to see more of what he has to show me.  Though I often expose more questions than answers with this approach, I have found that my faith has deepened as I have been convinced that treasures lie deep within the text of Scripture.  I am overwhelmed with a God who reveals so much of himself to me personally from behind the text, in it, and well beyond it, as God breathes life into every aspect of my life.

The Presence of God in the Brother

This entry was posted in Essay. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Exegesis Paper – Genesis

1. Jeff Childers says:

Nicely done. You have the makings of a biblical scholar!

I would love to see a bit of reflection on this piece, by way of introducing the artifact. You have been reading the Bible all your life, and it has formed you in very obvious ways. Yet what does it mean for you now to be attending to such things as Hebrew parallelism and chiastic structures? You handle those things well, technically, and it would be useful for you to consider what it means for your faith, your equipping for service, and even just your training in attentiveness (one of the spiritual benefits of this degree of intense study), that you are doing this type of work now.