Reflection on Ministerial Identity

2 Commentsby   |  03.15.10  |  08 Spiritual Disciplines, 09 Character, 10 Identity

The first draft of my reflection on ministerial identity, finished in November of 2009 as an assignment for Jeff Childers’ Foundations of Theology of Ministry class is an example of progress towards outcomes 8abc, 9a, and 10abc.

As you will see when reading the reflections, there is a great deal of uncertainty present about what my ministerial identity is. I feel as though God has gifted me in many ways and has presented me with a number of viable options and opportunities. That is what makes understanding who I am and where I want to go so much more difficult. This paper is, however, an attempt—and a successful one, I think—to begin to express in words who God has created me to be and what God is calling me to. This kind of focused exploration into my identity as a person and as a minister of the gospel of Christ is just what I believe is required for my own personal and vocational growth. In this assignment I am able to meditate on how God has led me to the point that I am at, how my life is a reflection of who God is, what God is asking of me, and how that call on my life correlates to the mission of God in the world through Christ and the church (8bc, 9a, 10ac). And although it cannot be completely summarized in words of any sort and must also be made evident in my everyday actions, my commitment to living out what I discover to be God’s call for me is also indicated in these pages (8a, 10b).

Writing this reflection on ministerial identity has been one of the most fulfilling assignments from my graduate education so far. Because I am already such a self-reflective person, it was not so much a challenge for me as it was an opportunity. It was an open invitation to explore and lay out—somewhat systematically and hopefully somewhat articulately as well—the many thoughts which had been swimming around in my head for years. It also focused my attention on attempting to discern some direction from the ambiguity.

Over the few months which have passed since I wrote this initial draft, God has continued to mold me and shape me. God’s definite guidance has been evident in my life and has led me to a point where this reflection on ministerial identity needs some revising. I hope to be able to take on that task at some point in the not-too-far future.

Ministerial Identity

Ministerial Identity

And click the image below for a short (one-song) musical soundtrack to go along with your reading. Enjoy!

My Desire

1. Jeff Childers

The sound track is a lovely addition — but not long enough to complete the reading.

2. Jeff Childers

I know that you have come to some clearer insights about your pathway and are much more comfortable with the immediate future than you were a few months ago. I am grateful for that measure of clarity and the peace that has come with it. But remember that it’s still OK to be seeking, questioning, experimenting, and remaining light on one’s feet in the face of possibly surprising alternatives.