Priorities

5 Commentsby   |  02.01.11  |  Pre-Renaissance (Part I)

I’ve always loved Aristotle. I’ve read up on some of his work, in and out of a wonderful Intro to Philosophy class I took. What I particularly enjoy are his ideas on how crucial happiness is to life. He asserts that the search for happiness is the most important part of our lives; however, he does not mean “happiness” in a selfish or pleasure-seeking way. It’s more of a way of trying to accomplish a full life of fulfilled potential, and his term for it is “eudaimonia”.

What really interested me in his discussions of happiness was his reasoning about the central role of priorities. Aristotle posited that every goal or area in our lives tends to contribute to a greater one; in theory, all these goals contribute to our overall happiness. Happiness is the only thing that does not lend to anything else; we may do a lot of things in order to achieve happiness, but our intent in achieving happiness is happiness itself. What I take from this is that, if my goals lead to each other, and they all lead to my personal happiness, any unhappiness I encounter may be due either to a failed goal or to the fact that my goals are out of order.

Yes, I realize it’s a confusing set up, but hang with me here. The point is that priorities are crucial. This may not sound like news, but sometimes the things that seem like they should be high priority fail because other things need to come first. For instance, I may place occupational security high on the list, ahead of personal interests or or social life, but if I am not happily interested in my job, or it causes me to spend inadequate amounts of time with those I love, it does not matter how financially secure I am–my career will fail me.

At this point in my life, as I approach graduation in May, I am taking this to heart. I am focusing on reordering my goals to reflect the ends I really want to achieve, taking into account areas of my life that have been up to this point rather neglected.

I guess one thing that bothers me about Aristotle, though, is that he saw happiness as limited to this lifetime; there is no afterlife in his philosophy. However, I do feel that Christianity can be very easily embedded into his ideas. Certainly, the idea of disordered priorities applies in my spiritual walk; for a while now my prayer life has taken a back seat to graduate school applications, part-time jobs, relationships, and school work. How will any of those things make me happy if they do not reflect God’s will for my life? If I get things back in the right order and put God first, I’m much more likely to find joy in future endeavors.

Aristotle also brought up another intriguing idea–the “Golden Mean.” This involves doing and having everything in moderation, with no extremes and much control. I really do think he is on to something there, and I think it is an idea worth living by. I’ve attached a link relating this concept to StarWars, which sounds ridiculous but actually works.

Lastly, I just love this quote in relation to this subject: “Happiness is the settling of the soul into its most appropriate spot.”— Aristotle

1. Bradye McQueen

I love that thinking about these philosophies and theories can make us examine our own lives and theories and reorder our own priorities. This shows how much influence they have on our thought.

I agree with your thinking and analyzing on happiness and how each goal leads to one true goal. There are many things that Aristotle believed that I think go hand in hand with Christian belief, even though there are many holes.

The settling of the soul into its most appropriate spot is essentially heaven.

2. Adrienne Lackey

I feel the same way about Aristotle, while he did not directly tie the idea of a higher power into his theories, I feel like he did leave room for one.

3. Candice Watson

Very interesting that he believed all theories led to the search for happiness. I can see where he is coming from for sure, but I’m not sure I agree completely. I am glad he clarified that he did not mean happiness in a selfish, pleasure-seeking way. I think maybe I do agree with this theory, but it is the word happiness that is throwing me off. To me happiness can still be empty. I have been happy, and felt incomplete. I think the last quote hits it a little better: “the settling of the soul.” To me, this would mean when your soul feels complete. Full. Satisfied. It is a little more meaty than the word “happy” to me. Interesting thought though and I loved your thoughts on priorities.

4. LeeAnn Green

I really like the idea that everything we do is in order to find happiness. I also agree that it is very much about the priorities in our lives. I think that it is important to put God first in our life in order to find true happiness. I think that when we put God first other things will usually fall into place.

5. Natalie Fleet

I strongly agree with the comment about eternal happiness compared to Aristotle’s idea of mortal happiness.
    I would also agree that happiness is parallel to our priorities. When I do bad on a test or skip class, I feel guilt for not prioritizing my future. Even though my main priority in life is to get a 4.0, but when I do poorly in a class I do not feel as secure as I do when I do well.