Jean-Jacques Rousseau’s Resilience

7 Commentsby   |  02.21.11  |  Renaissance/Premodern (Part II)

I believe that the reason Rousseau had so much wisdom on education and child rearing is because he endured so much in his childhood and adolescent years. He by no means had an easy life, and became independent (literally and temperamentally) at a young age.

He endured many hardships, beginning with the death of his mother nine days after his birth. He was abandoned by his father at age ten, and was left with his uncle who took him away to learn from a Calvinist minister where he gained many hopes for his future. At age sixteen he was challenged and converted to Catholicism and eventually had to process what he himself believed. He was very influential later in life with his thoughts on politics, education and parenting.

I find it very interesting that when thinking of education, he focused solely on the emotional well being of the pupil rather than the actual fundamental skills. He thought that the most important part of teaching was not only being able to impart knowledge and concepts, but encouraging the students to develop moral character and common sense. After this he believed that the student would naturally accomplish self-mastery and be able to independently achieve many things.

This evidently stems from his beliefs about his own experiences in life. His ability to withstand the seemingly never ending crises and hardships made him a much stronger person and thinker, giving him wisdom to teach others.

1. Taeyanna Pannell

I agree with the education. I mean if we do not encourage the children they will not want to learn because no one is letting them have a chance to talk about there problems in the class room. I personally would not be in college had it not been the teachers that encouraged me day after to day to keep my head up and keep going. Rousseau was right when he said that we need help them develop moral character.

2. Rebekah Bynum

I had exactly the same thoughts about the way he was raised effecting his knowledge of educating children. Sometimes hardships can open your eyes and mind to many things and he definitely endured enough of them

3. Garrett Beach

While teaching character is a good thing, imparting knowledge upon students is still a must for teachers. Not all kids are as motivated and driven as Rousseau must have been.

4. John Day IV

Although I like the idea a more natural education I do not feel Rousseau ideas are all that practical. Many people would probably learn more if it was something of interest but there are things we need to know despite the fact that they are of no interest. Then again I am probably thinking to absolute with his ideas.

5. Brady Campbell

I think that the negative experiences and the lack of proper education caused him to incorrectly conclude that children are inherently good.
    I bet that if he had had loving parents throughout childhood he would have far different views.

6. Candice Watson

Isn’t it crazy how much he endured? I think you are so right that his childhood gave him unique insight on what one might need in child rearing and education. Of course his ideas seem to be extreme, but his life was so extreme that this makes perfect sense to me. I appreciate your thoughts.

7. Anna Brinkman

I think that that is a really cool connection that Rousseau had. He really did have a tumultuous childhood, and so often in the present day we hear of people experiencing similar fates and coming out on the negative end of things. I think implementing his ideas on developing moral character through emotional well being and accomplishing self mastery would be a really great way to structure a learning environment. I think he was onto something….!