Kierkegaard

5 Commentsby   |  02.21.11  |  Pre-Renaissance (Part I)

As I was reading through the material regarding Romanticism I found it really interesting that many of their lives were full of emotional turmoil and pain.

Kierkegaard was estranged from his father and religion during his early 20’s as a result of  his father admitting to sexual urges, but at the age of 25 he accepted them both back into his life. His love life was also plagued with troubles,he ended his  engagement to Regina Olsen after two years. After ending his engagement many described him as melancholy and withdrawn. Keirkegaard also considered a relationship with God to be both painful and happy, passionate but unfulfilled.

Different time periods of thought and learning have focused on specific things, especially in psychology. I think what we can take from this would be not to focus merely on the biological, or only on the emotional. We cannot approach things from a very specific focus or we might miss the bigger picture.

1. Brittany Rexroat

I agree that sometimes we tend to try and figure everything out by having some sort of emotional or biological reason instead of looking particularly at the big picture or the obvious conclusion.

2. John Day IV

Yes, sometimes it is hard to see the bigger picture when so many things are in the way. The world calls for evidence so we all head out in search of it and often seem to lose something in its pursuit, a down side to knowledge more question seem to follow.

3. Candice Watson

I too was struck by the difficulties the romanticists faced. This indeed must have influenced their focus and made them abandon reason in the most extreme ways. I agree that it is not smart to focus on such extreme aspects that we miss the bigger picture.

4. Alison

I find myself alternately awed and frustrated by Kierkegaard. He has so many brilliant, inspirational ideas, but he also makes me feel like banging my head against a wall when I read some of his writings about constant doubt, struggle, pain and trials. However, one thing that I most respect about him is the fact that he always tried to make his Christianity real and meaningful; he was never happy with just a token Christianity. Like you say, his relationship with God was at times rocky and unfulfilling, but he never gave it up.

5. Emily Pennington

I bet Freud had a field day with this guy haha it seems he had some serious psychosexual discrepancies brought on by an upsetting encounter with his father during early adulthood that he carried over to influence his spiritual life as well