Human Emotions

0 Commentsby   |  03.21.11  |  Beginning of Scientific Psychology (Part III)

I have some pretty big issues with Darwin’s theory that human emotions are remnants of animal emotions that had once been necessary for survival. I have no idea how to prove any of my concerns, but I also feel that Darwin could never really fully prove his theory either, so here goes it.

First off, I would like to say that I love emotions and the fact that they exist. Because of this, in one sense, I am very glad Darwin theorized on emotions at all. He caused many others to continue the study on human emotions and that I am grateful for. However, I feel so strongly about emotions that I cannot accept that they are merely around because we needed them for survival. Second, I would like to say that the two main arguments I want to share come from a Christian perspective…so I apologize if that makes them irrelevant to some psychologists…or you… but it’s all I have.

My first argument is that God feels emotions. In the Bible he expresses jealousy, anger, love, joy, sorrow, etc. However, God does not need survival instincts to survive. He will never know an end for he is not bound by time. If God is the Almighty that no power could ever match, why would he need emotions for survival? And if humans are made in God’s image, are our emotions given to us purely for survival?

My second argument is more about purpose. Darwin argues emotions evolved from survival instincts. This would mean that the purpose for emotions was mostly selfish; something created for the self to protect the self. However, God and his love operates in exact opposition to this. His love is a love of selflessness, and his emotions follow suit. I do believe that God gave us emotions (as in Ecclesiastes we are told there is a a time for everything and many emotions are listed), but I cannot fathom that God would give us such emotions if only to be used in a selfish way. I believe that emotions are a gift from him that teach us to be selfless. With that selfless emotion we can sacrifice and risk which is the exact opposite of looking out for the self first to ensure survival. God’s love is sacrificial and risk taking. Emotions created to solely ensure survival does not speak a word of sacrifice or risk and I don’t buy it.

My last point is really not an argument but just something I would like to say. In the video we watched in class about Darwin’s theory on emotions, they said that humans show their teeth when they are scared. Well, I just simply wanted to point out that they only showed scared humans..on a roller coaster. Maybe that’s because humans don’t actually make those faces when their scared if they’re not exposed to great heights and winds.