General Thoughts on Psychology…

8 Commentsby   |  05.02.11  |  The Schools of Psychology (Part IV)

I feel like this post may be more just spilling the thoughts of my mind than writing about a specific subject, but now that we are nearing the end of our time in this class I looked back on the theories that we have learned about. Psychoanalysis, behaviorism, humanisitic, exisistential, etc. And within each of those big categories, there are smaller ones to choose from. What makes someone choose what approach to take in therapy? I do not plan on being a counselor, but for those of you who are, I am curious as to what one you identify with and why? I feel like each of the theories have positive and negative attributes. It is interesting to see how something as simple as the background of your family and how you grew up can influence how you approach therapy. Each approach seems to build off oof the other and it makes me wonder about the future and how much each theory we know now will grow and what new approaches we will see in the future.

1. Lawton Pybus

As you said, they each have their merits. I think that you can pick and choose according to the purpose you are looking to achieve. Behaviorism, cognitive behavior therapy, and classical conditioning seems to be particular effective at treating simple things practically. Psychoanalysis and humanistic therapy seem to be more effective with more complex, difficult problems… the latter especially with abnormal clients and the former especially with high-functioning clients. Just depends on your client and your goals.

2. Taeyanna Pannell

I have not given it much thought quite yet, but I have a feeling that it will be snipets from all of them depending on the situation that clients will be in like Lawton said it does depend on your clients and the goals.

3. Rebekah Bynum

I identify a lot with exisistential school of psychology because I feel that that is kind of the type of counseling that we do on a daily basis.

4. John Day IV

I intend on doing experimental psychology yet I would like to keep the door open to clinical. If I was to choose a particular branch I would say Cognitive Behavioral because I like the whole concept of faulty thinking. Also many people cannot afford do therapy for weeks on end and it has one of the shortest times for result to be obtained but I suppose that depends on the type of case. If possible Rogerian qualities would be nice I would rather avoid a total authoritative figure role, but that could just be young age speaking.

5. Candice Watson

I feel it is always exciting to understand the history so that we may envision where the future may take us. There theories have all made great contributions but we must never stop there. With each success and each failure we must strive to learn and better our view of therapy-client interaction.

6. Jodi Bell

I was thinking about this too. I think I would take the humanistic approach. I say this in the context of looking at the individual that I am counseling and judging off of their unique needs. Of course this would depend on the severity of their case. I Don’t think I would take any specific form of therapy but mesh all of them together in order to fit the client.

7. Bradye McQueen

This is something I have also been contemplating. We have to be able to evaluate the whole and take from it the parts that we think are significant. It is our own responsibility as humans to take what we learn with a grain of salt and fit it into our own point of view and set of beliefs. We will be creating many more theories as we progress, and I look forward to seeing what comes up in the future as well.

8. Alison

I plan on being a counselor, and although I really want to draw from multiple schools of thought, I’ve always identified most with existential and cognitive-behavioral therapy. I think this is because they seem to be “smart” therapies–they both encourage the client to take responsibility in their therapy and learn about themselves. They take work and serious thought for both the therapist and client, but both show extremely positive results.