Piaget and Creation

3 Commentsby   |  12.02.13  |  Second Blog Post

Jean Piaget was a very well-rounded academic at an early age and was a prominent writer. He’s contributed work in the areas of children’s cognitive perception of causality, time, morality, and space. His contributions still influence many areas of study that involve human development. Though he’s known for much more, the textbook mainly covers Piaget’s 4 stages of human ontogeny.

1. Sensorimotor (birth-2): infant becomes aware of the relationship of physical sensations and actions.
  2. Preoperational (2-7): child begins to identify how the world is organized, how it functions, and how humans interact with one another.
  3. Concrete operations (11 or 12): mental processes that allow individuals to solve problems begins to develop for physical objects
  4. Formal operations (11 or 12): the ability to solve abstract problems develop

These are stages of early human development, and for that reason, I believe Piaget fits well into Creation. His research is about understanding how individuals develop in their environments.  I believe Piaget was one of the first to create a reliable map that we use to predict human development. This was considerably useful in therapeutic context for psychology, language, and sociology.  Also in my opinion, Piaget’s approach is much more realistic than psychoanalytic psychology.

1. Laura Kate Music

Great post Denysha. I think that the stages Piaget has laid out for us, are very real and easy to accept. it is much more applicable than psychotherapy, and focuses on looking forward instead of back. I can definitely see where these stages fit into creation. The thought of being new, is similar to a child approaching new stages in each phase.

2. Irene Anderson

Whenever I thought of Piaget I always thought of him with Creation so this is just perfect. When children are developing they are creating their view of the world, their personality, and what the world is. So there is a lot of cooking mentally, physically, and spiritually.lol This is a perfect combination. Thanks so much for this post. Simple and sweet. Have a great time graduating!! 😀

3. D.J. Acevedo

I couldn’t agree more, I too also saw Piaget approaches as more realistic than psychoanalytic. His four stages have always been very spot on for me, I have never thought of another way that I might see those four stages. Very awesome post!