A&E Student Walks to Support

0 Commentsby   |  12.03.10  |  Uncategorized

The Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure is a 60-mile walk that helps mothers, sisters, spouses, and friends get one step closer to a world without breast cancer.  A&E’s Jaimie Howard, junior animal science major from Argyle, Texas, participated in this event that took place November 5-7.  Each walker was required to raise $2300 in order to participate.  The money raised was used for breast cancer research and community outreach programs that educate people about breast cancer. 

“I had heard about the 3-Day a couple of years before I actually did it,” Howard said.  “When I heard the commercials, I knew that I wanted to do it one day to honor my grandmother who died of breast cancer.”

The saying for the duration of the 3-Day walk was, “Everyone deserves a lifetime.”  The streets of the walk were lined with survivors and current patients holding signs in support of the walkers.

“Even though my grandmother died when I was young, we were extremely close and I lived close enough to my grandparents that I witnessed my grandmother die from breast cancer,” Howard said.  “Initially I was walking for her.  But on the walk, the supporters that came out to cheer us on reminded everyone that we are walking for so many more reasons than we thought.  I fully realized this when I saw a sign that read, ‘You are walking for my future’ leaning against a stroller with a baby girl inside.”

Howard drew many lessons from her experience and is eager to share them with others.

“While an oxymoron, I walked away with a sense of both pride and humility from the 3-Day,” Howard said.  “On one hand, I completed the whole route and raised an incredible amount of money.  On the other hand, it was so humbling to walk among survivors of breast cancer.  They had amazing stories to tell and their high spirits helped everyone move forward.”

To learn more about the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure visit www.the3day.org.