At ACU, we are blessed to have faculty and staff that play a vital role in cultivating our Christian culture on campus. Our featured leader this week is one of our very own ACU staffmembers, David Moses. David has been the Director of ACU Leadership Camps since August of 2012. He graduated from ACU with a B.S. in Psychology in 1988, followed by a Master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy in 1991. He then served as a Youth Minister for 19 years at various congregations and as the Lead Pastor for New Heritage Fellowship Church in Allen, TX. He is married to his sweet wife, Juli, and they have three children— Emily, Abbey, and Zach. 

I had the privilege to work for David as a camp counselor for ACU Leadership Camps in 2019. He is an excellent leader in his role as camp director and as a spiritual director. David has made it his mission to demonstrate what Christian leadership looks like in his work and in the ways that he interacts with others on campus. He embodies so many characteristics of a leader; he is an incredible encourager, he is dependable, and is an exemplary role model. As a Christian and management student, working with David and witnessing firsthand what a gracious and intentional leader looks like has been invaluable not only to my ACU experience but my spiritual journey as well. Continue reading to learn more about David’s leadership philosophy.

What is your perspective on leadership?

• Leadership is established within relationships and steeped in service, equipping, and courage. Transparency and authenticity are critical…absolutely critical and powerful. It’s not about climbing a ladder, it’s about holding the ladder and others trusting that you, through your care and guidance, are making an organization a better place to be filled with capable and motivated individuals who matter.

In your opinion, how should faith impact leadership?

• I define faith as a moment-by-moment practicing of the invisible presence of Jesus my Savior, my Heavenly Father, and in the power of the Holy Spirit in every aspect of my life – my intellect, my emotions, my actions, and my relationships with people. Faith should define, shape, and direct any attempts to influence another. Justice, mercy, and humility are the cornerstones of my faith and the foundational blocks in leading others effectively.

Do you have any personal examples of how your faith impacts your leadership?

• I pray my example is evident in how I treat others. I fully believe I will never love Jesus more than the person in front of me. My faith demands equality, equity, and consistency in the way I love people I come into contact with. If that’s leadership, so be it…it’s loving others well in a way that creates connections and community. I want to lead and love with the reality that every person I meet is the Beloved. Period. My experience has been that amazing things happen when people fully embrace that reality.

Thank you David for all of your leadership within our ACU community and beyond!