Unity of Self

9 Commentsby   |  02.21.11  |  Renaissance/Premodern (Part II)

One of the philosophers that has always intrigued me most is David Hume. Although I don’t agree with all of his ideas, I do think he brought up some very interesting points, particularly concerning the “self”. All of us have some kind of conception of “self”; I would definitely say that I am defined by multiple constant traits that make me different from others. For example, my hate of mayonnaise, my love of Harry Potter, my interest in psychology, my Christianity–all of these are personal preferences or defining characteristics that I feel make up part of what I consider to be “me”. Hume throws us a bit of a curve ball with his idea that continuity of self is basically a joke, as he thinks that what we think of as ourselves at any given moment is really subject to that particular moment. He says that what we think of as a continuous identity is really just a collection of thoughts and perceptions specific to that time and place. He calls this bundle theory, because he says that each thing is just a bundle of properties, and without its properties it does not exist. One can see how this applies to the self–without its characteristics, which are subject to time and place, the self does not exist. This video breaks it down a little, in a slightly humorous and succinct way.
This idea blows my mind. I think I have unity of self–I still won’t like mayonnaise tomorrow, and I plan on hating it forever. But our likes and dislikes change all the time, so is that due to growth or change, or are we really just living moment to moment and stringing together those moments to force an idea of a unified self?
Hume was an atheist, but I am not. I think my reluctance to side with him rests with my Christian beliefs. I do think that God made us each unique individuals, and that there is more holding each of us together as those individuals than imagination stringing moments together. In the end, I think Hume’s position is rather hard to defend, but it is still kind of cool to think about, since we really are very subject to perceptions.

1. Adrienne Lackey

This is an interesing position to digest. While I agree that who we are is made up of different aspects about our lives, our likes and dislikes, our past experiences, and our beliefs, I do not think that these things are the only defining factors of our lives. As Christians we are taught that God has a beautiful and wonderful purpose for our lives. It is not about WHAT we do or say, but about WHO we belong to.

2. Rebekah Bynum

I love the idea of self… it is something that some people have a great grasp on and other struggle with desperately. It’s an amazing aspect of the human mind that helps create who we are and gives us confidence and it’s definitely something I am interested in learning more about.

3. Bradye McQueen

This concept of Hume’s can be a little confusing, and I agree that he throws curve balls at us! It takes a lot of work to process his thoughts. That video is a great illustration of his points.

4. LeeAnn Green

I also disagree with the idea that we are constantly just living moment to moment. I believe that God made us unique and that there are certain things about our self that will never change. I do agree that some things are in the moment but many things are permanent and built into us.

5. Terry Osborne

That is very interesting. The idea of bundleing reminds me of getting internet, satillite, and telephone! lol Never thought of looking at myself that way. But it is fitting. Good thoughts!

6. Brady Campbell

Certainly! It is greatly thought-provoking to ponder our non-physical building blocks. Perhaps it is strongly our mental patterns that give us an identity? Presumably that would be a point for nurture.

7. Emily Pennington

Wow I really like his concept of the self and how it’s always changing. You’re right though, when I first read this I was thinking, “I don’t really change. I’ve hated Brussels Sprouts since I was born.” But then when you think about it, your taste in people changes, your taste in music changes (unless you still listen to nursery rhymes before you go to bed) and I think that’s kind of a comforting thought that you can change; you don’t have to be stuck as the girl who hates Brussels Sprouts. I think that’s kind of a neat and comforting thought:)

8. Sam Gibbs

I thought that video was interesting about the apple and how if you take away it’s properties then it does not exist. I just had trouble believing that that was applicable to humans and the self…

9. Sam Gibbs

And by that I mean the apple scenario…just clarifying