Existentialism–very cool, but very scary

3 Commentsby   |  05.02.11  |  The Schools of Psychology (Part IV)

In both my previous philosophy class and this psychology class, I’ve always really gotten into the study of third-force psychology–more specifically, existential psychology. Many of my favorite philosophers–Viktor Frankl, Soren Kierkegaard, and others–were existentialists, and I really respect and admire the way they put so much effort into truly living life to the fullest. Frankl, for instance, was a Holocaust survivor, and the fact that he could go through such a tragedy and still find meaning and purpose in a world that was so cruel to him is very impressive. All of these philosophers were very interested in the idea of living life “authentically,” or living true to your ideals and personality despite the external pressures that the world throws your way.

I love this idea, and I think that if everyone lived authentically, in theory, the world would be a better place. However, with authenticity comes the idea of subjective truth. If everyone is deciding what is best or true for themselves, then there are going to be many different truths bouncing around. That may be ok, to a point, but it also means that people who are very committed to a less than admirable goal are also being authentic by being “true” to their devotion to the idea, whatever it may be. For example, does that mean Hitler, who was very devoted to his cause and really thought he was in the right, was living authentically? I don’t know, but it’s a scary thought.

1. Myriah Miller

I agree with your thoughts about how this might be scary or dangerous for others. Freud’s own theory was influenced by the antisemitism that he experienced in his lifetime.I think for it to be truly beneficial living authentically must not affect the rights of others.

2. Lindsey Fleming

I agree. there are some great benefits to everyone living true to themselves when we theorize about these things, but we do also have to think about the down side, and I’m glad you are willing to submit that if we have no measure of right and wrong that applies to everyone then we will have many different perceptions of right and wrong and therefore many conflicts. That world brings a trouble of it’s own. I think this is one of the reasons why God has given us rules and guidelines that are meant for everyone. Rather than assuming that everything that we think and feel is right, we need to learn to discipline ourselves to live in ways that are proven to create peace and perpetuate love. All we can control is ourselves, so there will still be people who will live for their own perception of right and wrong, but that’s just life.

3. LeeAnn Green

I really like what you said about all the different truths that people can have. I really like the idea of living authentically but is there a line we have to draw in finding our own truths?