Rogers deserves a high-five

3 Commentsby   |  05.02.11  |  The Schools of Psychology (Part IV)

We just went over Rogers in class. Now I’m glad we saved the best until now. If I had had to listen to Freudian psychoanalysis after a far better theory(of Rogers) I probably would have fallen asleep. Basically, Rogers was a beast. He observed the “truth” around him, discerned its falsehood, and had the balls to step up and not only shed light on the almost worthlessness of Freudian theory, but invent a new, much better form himself.
Why does Rogers’ theory work better than Freud’s?
Rogers’ is easily falsifiable(compared to Freud’s)
Rogers’ is powerful because it motivates the client to help himself, instead of having faith in the counselor.
Rogers’ doesn’t have assumptions. It tackles everything it can through an honest and open relationship.

If I go to counseling, it’ll be Rogers-inspired. If I ever preform counseling, it will be Rogers-inspired. And if I ever tell a joke about counseling, it will be Freud-inspired.

1. McKenzie Goad

I also like that Rogers’ theory motivates the client to help himself. It allows the client to develop a self-identity and feel comfortable in the therapeutic environment.

2. Terry Osborne

I agree Brady! I enjoyed Rodgers as well!

3. Myriah Miller

I really liked how Rogers was able to take his life experiences and making something useful out of them. His independent thinking in response to the theorists before him is really admirable.