Rogers – realistic & modern

3 Commentsby   |  05.02.11  |  The Schools of Psychology (Part IV)

I think that I can relate most to Carl Rogers’ theory. It seems like it would be simply to apply it to a typical modern therapy session for someone who has emotional problems – someone like me. It is also applicable to other major disorders, but I feel that the other theorists have had more extreme theories that seem harder to reach and put into practice. His three qualities of an ideal therapeutic relationship simply create a comfortable environment for the client. This seems like something that I can actually do, something that interests me as a naturally compassionate person. It creates a different type of challenge for the therapist to aid the client in trusting them and discovering their own insecurities and flaws without any criticism or judgment. This fosters actual change of heart in the client, and breakthrough in behavior follows. Genuineness is something that is essential in all healthy relationships. Empathy is vital as well, because putting yourself in someone else’s shoes puts a whole new light on your view of their situation. Overall I agree most with Rogers’ theory over the other theorists. All have some truth to them, with things to pick and pull to use in developing my own theory.

1. Anna Brinkman

I like that you brought up genuineness and that it is something that should be easy to do for a compassionate person. I think in being genuine, like Rogers suggests, is important because how effective can you be when you half-heartedly try to help?

2. Lindsey Fleming

Rogers’ techniques hold a lot of merit for making clients comfortable and creating an atmosphere that allows for open sharing and introspection. There definitely are times where the needs of the client require more intense forms of therapy. I have this feeling that if you sat down with many clients and just allowed them to think out loud and work through their own problems, they wouldn’t really get anywhere.
    Counsellor to client relationships should definitely include Roger’s concepts of Empathy, Unconditional Positive Regard, and Congruence, but they must expand beyond these relating tools once rapport is achieved.

3. McKenzie Goad

I think that you make an interesting point when you said that this approach is something that you could use just as a compassionate person. Maybe that’s why this approach is so appealing to people because we would feel comfortable talking to someone using this approach on us. It seems very friendly, perhaps the three characteristics are reflective of genuine friendships and how easy it is to relate to people who are honest with us.