Thales-The Fall

4 Commentsby   |  09.07.13  |  Student Posts

If I wasn’t a Christian, I think Thales would be my favorite Philosopher. I find his theories very interesting, particularly the one about water being the primary substance of physics. With water being found in all living things and as such a vital resource required for life, this theory makes sense to my scientific side. I also really admire the way he accepted criticism and wasn’t to high and mighty. I think all of us should strive to be better and help one another in a constructive atmosphere.

However, I must categorize him with the fall. Thales, though he acknowledged the existence of the Greek gods, taught natural explanations for everything, deemphasizing any supernatural explanations.  To me Thales represents the overly scientific world with at our society has been consumed by. Instead of looking for any higher being as the source he looks to the world. He would never assume a miracle but would search in nature for a more scientific explanation. Despite categorizing him with the fall, I think that some of Thales ideas are reminiscent of restoration, particularly his creation of the critical tradition. I feel that this idea of building off of one another really aligns with how we as Christians work and think together in order to further God’s kingdom here on Earth. And I love the quote below, but I think in order to find ourselves we must search in God and not in this world.

image

1. Matt McMahon

I think you make some good points but I think I might have categorized Thales under Creation because of his ideas about trying to find out a primary substance of physics. I think his search for naturalistic explanations inform creation because he is still trying to figure out how things came to be.

2. Laura Kate Music

I too agree that Thales has somewhat ‘missed the boat’ when it comes to trying to find explanations. He is too focused on finding the answers and is not willing to admit of think of turning to a higher power instead of earthly answers.

3. Angela Wilson

I agree with Thales being considered in the fall. Our world is definitely driven by concrete, scientific explanations even though we as Christians can see that so many things could not have just happened by chance

4. Jacey Ferrara

Meredith,
    I love what you said about Thales being able to take criticism, that is so important and valuable as a philosopher. Thales sounds very similar to Hippocrates in the fact that he, too, looked for natural causes alone and not for a higher power. I think your last comment is also excellent. It is difficult to know ourselves, our true selves, and what we were designed for, without seeking first our Creator!