Erasmus: Recognition of the fall, and Redemption

2 Commentsby   |  09.20.13  |  Second Blog Post

Desiderius Erasmus is a man the textbook described as depressed all of his life, a believer in free will, author of  the book The Praise of Folly, critical of the organized church, complimentary of the simple life Jesus lived, and an observer of the world (95-97).  At first glance, Erasmus sounds just kind of sad.  He was depressed, “fond of pointing out mistakes,” and disturbed by certain things about the church, such as how bishops became rich and famous.  Erasmus appears to focus on the negative.  But, I think what this informs us about is the fall of humans.  Erasmus reasons that “anything created by humans could not be perfect.”  He also discusses in his book, The Praise of  Folly, that those who are “fools” are happier, able to live and act on their true feelings, and do not fear death.  His book implies that those who are not “fools” are unhappy, incapable of making good decisions without the pressure of religious doctrines, etc.  In other words, again Erasmus is informing us about the fall of man, the imperfections, the inconsistencies of our nature.

However, that is not all there is to Erasmus’ contribution to history.  Erasmus talks about following Jesus’ example, therefore admitting that he approves of Jesus’ simple life and thinks there is value in the way He lived and set the example.  I think by telling people to look at Jesus as an example, Erasmus is admitting that he believes there is more than the human brokenness and fallen state (95).  I think he is admitting that we can be redeemed and don’t have to continue living in a life of ignorance. His ideas are further promoted when we examine his thoughts on free will versus pre-destination.  Erasmus writes to someone who might believe in pre-destination:

“Doesn’t the reader of such passages ask: why do you [God] make conditional promises, when it depends solely on your will?  Why do you blame me, when all my works, good or bad, are accomplished by you, and I am only your tool?… Why bless me, as if I had done my duty, when everything is your achievement?  Why do you curse me, when I have merely sinned through necessity?”

What I really like about Erasmus is that he doesn’t seem to sit in this fallen idea and just wallow in it. Rather, he looks to scriptures and says, basically, “I see where God says we get to choose whether we want to do what is good or what is evil.”  In this way, I believe Erasmus teachers us about Redemption.  Through scripture, through looking at the simple life of Jesus Christ, we can change our ways.  We can choose to make decisions that are for the good.  One example of this recognition of the fall, but use of redemption is actually in Erasmus’ life.  The textbook tells us that all of his life he struggles with depression.  And yet, when the book talks about the disagreeing views of Erasmus and Martin Luther, it says that Erasmus was respectful, kind, and conciliatory throughout his debates with Martin Luther.  Martin Luther on the other hand is described as mean, disrespectful, and dogmatic.  So although his depression could have resulted in excuses for ugly behavior, Erasmus chooses redemption.  It appears to me that he chooses to reflect Christ in his responses.

1. Nicole Nelson

Jacey,

I really like how you compare and contrast all the different aspects of Erasmus! He obviously had a lot of personal, spiritual and emotional issues going on, and yet he still somehow found the good in life and the good in God. I like that fact that you not only say that Erasmus supports redemption but you make a definitive connection between his actions and his support of redemption. I thought it was very interesting when you compared Erasmus and Luther. They are definitely two men on very different sides of the spectrum when it comes to beliefs. Lastly, I really like how you bring in the ideas of free-will and predestination, because I think what a philosopher believes in reference to these two options says a lot about what stage; creation-fall-redepmtion-restoration, they believe in. And I think the belief in free will definitely fits well with redemption. Great post!

2. Lindsay Lowe

I agree and appreciate that you listed Erasmus with the Fall but mentioned his mood and the effect of his writings. This works because he doesn’t completely have a morose outlook, but deals with issues of fallen humanity.
    Also, thought it was an interesting perspective that you gave on his mention of Jesus. Thanks for the great post!